Misery Ridge and River Trail

Misery Ridge and River Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Terrebonne, OR that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Hiked misery ridge at 4am to watch the sunrise and it was well worth the early morning wake up call. Trails are maintained very well and it appropriate for all skill levels. One of these days I will have to muster up the courage to climb monkey face. Watch out for rattle and bull snakes in the summer!

Terrific sights to see here. Love the ruggedness of it but it's still a well put together trail in my opinion. Go on a sunny day and you'll love the distance you can see as you get to certain spots.

Steep uphill but worth the sweat! Lots of rock climbers- they are so fun to watch. 5$ parking fee

Beautiful views over all the surrounding mountains and towns.

We took our 7 year old daughter, who enjoyed the playful antics of river otters a bit more than the switchbacks up Misery. Yet rewarded by great views, and a close up of a standalone ecosystem that rubberneckers at the base probably don't suspect is up on top. Great views of monkey rock, from beneath, side and above. Watching world-class rock climbers on impossible routes -- bonus!!

Absolutely amazing. Challenging uphill trek but soooooo worth it. The views are spectacular. Plan on spending some time along the way and at the top to just take in the beauty.

Amazing views of sisters mount Jefferson black butte and many more. Able to see numerous mountain climbers and several climbing monkey face. Great great hike!

Awesome views. A great early morning challenge.

Challenging and great hike!

Smith Rock State Park has to be one of my favorite places in all of Oregon. I have hiked here three times and this is always a destination point for me when I visit Bend. The rock structures here are part of the walls of an ancient volcano, so the area is geologically fascinating. The Misery Ridge Trail has to be one of the most appropriately named trails and hiking it is not for the faint of heart. However, the views from the top are well worth it. Treat yourself by hiking along the River Trail which loops back to the trailhead. From along the river the views are just as impressive and you will see many rock climbers enjoying the awesome and towering rock walls around you. Lots of native plant and animal life make their home here and photo opportunities are endless. A must for any adventurer visiting central Oregon!

Nice

Beautiful hike!
Felt like you were in an REI commercial!!

This is one of my all time favorites hikes due to the scenery. Overall this pretty easy, and the views are spectacular from up top.

Smith Rock is an amazing park! Breathtaking views and endless activities. Misery Ridge Trail is honestly probably one of my favorite trails in all of Central Oregon. I took my dog and he did fine. Even on a crowded day it isn't bad (and I can't stand when a trail is crowded). I frequent here often. Beautiful place to check out. (You may even spot a bald eagle).

We hiked this on 6-9-16. Weather about 70deg. so perfect for this hike. Beautiful views, though watch your step cuz it's a long way down to the river. The trail is loose pebbles all the way so wear good hiking shoes, not those tourist shoes... Lol you know the ones I mean. At the top you can watch the rock climbers on monkey face though the day we were there I watched for a hour and only saw some dude eat a sandwich. Lots of people and dogs, however i like the shorter and steeper hikes so I did give this one a 4 star plus the views are great.