EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Saddle Mountain Trail

Saddle Mountain Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Seaside, OR that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The highest point in northwest Oregon, this saddle-shaped peak commands a panorama from the ocean to Mount St. Helens. The climb is especially popular in May and June, when wildflowers fill the mountain's meadows with the richest floral display in the Coast Range. The trail starts at an easy pace and begins to zig-zag after about 1 mile. The trail gets progressively steeper and more arduous as it gains height. Just before the saddle it levels out prior to a descent between the two peaks. A steeper trail then takes you to the summit.

30 minutes ago

Great hike, kids accomplished as well, wear good supportive shoes or boots.

great view :)

Fabulous views! Ignored the forecast & was rewarded, because they were so wrong! A little bit after the 3rd bridge you'll come to a wooden staircase - just after that, look to your right while continuing towards the summit and if you're as lucky as I was you will see Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams. AND Mt. St. Helens all at once! WOW! Talk about breathtaking views!! The summit was windy & cold, but the Pacific Ocean & The Columbia River could be seen. The only thing that keeps this from being a five-star review is the condition of the trail: small iron rods sticking up to snag your boots or squash a toe (coming down) are prevalent. Lots of scree, too - thank goodness for the mesh. Wear your best boots & watch your step and this will be a five star hike all the way!

I'm sure the view would have been beautiful if I'd been able to see it. I was inside of a cloud for the last half of the climb, nothing but cold damp white all around. Early August, was supposed to be a clear day, I reached the summit around 1pm and was still surrounded by clouds.
The times that I could see the view, I was distracted by the scars on the landscape left by loggers deforestation. I like wood furniture as much as the next girl, but it is unfortunate to the view.
From the open saddle part and upward the trail has chain link fence to help with traction. Definitely necessary, but annoying and unsightly.
I was unimpressed by this hike, won't do it again.

My brother and I did this hike at 8am. The trip up was foggy. It was beautiful but not we envisioned. On the trip down the fog started to burn off. Lots more people on the trail even by 10am though so not peaceful when done later. The camping was great and simple. I would recommend doing the winding drive up to the campsite /trailhead in the daylight. Fun trip!!

Incredible!! Definitely recommend it! But if you take your kids, be watchful. And make sure you have good hiking shoes.

Loved it!! Would do it again for sure!!

Went hiking on a 90 degree day and the lack of shade was a bit of a killer. Definitely don't forget to bring your water. Overall the hike was great. Several viewpoints where people can stop off and take some pics. The view of the coast from that high up is beautiful. Will definitely visit again!

It was alright. The metal fencing/grating on the trail to mitigate erosion was super annoying; very easy to get tripped up by it and trekking poles snagged in it. I feel like there are better ways to prevent erosion. It was raining so I didn't get to see any views though the fog was really cool. Felt like we were at higher elevations. Met a very friendly salamander along our way too which was fun! But I may only do this hike again just to do it when it's not raining so I can see those views but otherwise I wasn't too impressed with the trail management.

A fairly rigorous hike. Beautiful scenery and views throughout. I wouldn't recommend for a novice but can be done! One of my favorites for sure!

Absolutely. Amazing. This is a very challenging hike, or maybe I'm just out of shape, but the steep incline really kicked my butt. It was 100000% worth it though. The views are incredible. I definitely recommend bringing lots of water.

Great day hike! I went when it was foggy which added a Viking like perspective with the rock spines in the area. Can't wait to go back on a clear day for a different experience. Best part of finishing was the proximity to Seaside to refuel on a little seafood.

I went mid week on an off season (early spring) to alleviate the foot traffic (always enhances the experience).

Quite the workout. Definitely would suggest that you are an active person prior to venturing out on this trail. Walking sticks and/or proper hiking shoes a definite bonus. Gorgeous views of nature throughout the hike. Highly recommend, especially when the skies are clear to see the views as you hike the trail and reach the top.

Great trail and awesome view on a nice day of Astoria and Seaside. Steep last bit that makes you work for it.

Very challenging hike for me but loved it. Very steep in some areas as it felt like I was climbing the mountain towards the end instead of hiking it. The view was beautiful if you go on a clear day.