Ridge Trail

Ridge Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Portland, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Down, down, down. See the beautiful view of the St. John's Bridge. Then up, up, up to the car. Trail is tough, hard clay, so not muddy in rain, but can be a little slippery.

We made the mistake (kind of) of using Google to find the trailhead of Ridge Trail. It took us to the entrance via NW Bridge Avenue which is actually the bottom of the trail, so 5 minutes in, we already reached the beautiful lookout point over St. John's Bridge. There was no satisfaction in that though so we decided to hike all the way up and back down, just to see what Forest Park is all about. This place is HUGE! No wonder they named it Forest Park. Fun fact - it's also one of the biggest, if not...THE biggest metropolitan park in the United States.

The other reviewers are right, even on a sunny day, it can still be really muddy at certain parts, especially if it rained earlier in the week. We hiked a week after the ice storm, so there were certain parts in the trail where we had to climb over some trees that fell over.

There's not really much else to see on the rest of the trail. No other jaw-dropping lookout points from what I know, unless you head all the way to the other side where the Pittock Mansion is. I saw several joggers along the way (on Christmas Day, surprisingly!) and the park is inside of Portland, which makes for a great choice if you're looking for something quick and nearby.

What I did appreciate is how well-marked the trails are. However, I wouldn't recommend Ridge Trail if you're looking for a hike where you can picnic by a scenic viewpoint, which is what I like to do. The lookout point of the St. John's Bridge is not very spacious. But if you're looking for something quick, this'll work for you. And if you don't even want to get the exercise in, then park at the bottom so you don't have to hike down.

This was a fun and easy journey down this trail, perfect for the fall time. There wasn't any traffic on the way down and there maybe a group or two on my way up. The view was definitely worth it once you get down to the viewing platform and great exercise going back to the beginning of the trailhead. I would recommend this if you live or headed to St. John's; especially with all the colors changing in the forest.

It is basically another " connection" to the Wildwood Trail. Parking lot is not exactly where AllTrails will lead you but roughly 300 yards before the bridge. Good workout hill.

Just challenging enough for an occasional hiker like me. Loved the view of the St. John's Bridge near the bottom, close to the bridge. (We missed the lookout point at first. When you're near the river, facing it, the trail comes a T. Go right until you come to a small platform.)

Great trail for a quick hike in the city.

Loved this hike. The forest smells so good in the rain. We hiked all the way down to the viewpoint of the St.John's Bridge and back up. We started at the Springville Rd Trailhead and turned around at the viewpoint. I think you can go all the way to the St. John's Bridge, but we had a dog with us so we didn't want to get out on the road. Not sure what the connection looks like down there.