Red Lake Trail

Red Lake Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Detroit, OR that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

8.2 miles 1955 feet Out & Back

Enjoyed the trail today despite the weather not being the best. Some rocky areas and quite a bit of snow above the 4,000 foot level. The lakes were beautiful and well worth the hike. Lots of additional water in the creek areas, definitely will slow down your progress unless you don't mind wading through. Not a very difficult trail to be honest, I would say moderate is a fair assessment. Would love to do this one again on a clear day where you can see the peaks and surrounding areas

Love this trail. I've done it many times as a kid. Hiked to potato Butte. Great Lakes to camp at once you pass Red Lake. Also went lower lake which is past potato butte. If you're good with a map and compass go to Gifford lake. Gifford Lake is a hidden gem of this area and the trail is very faint. Not many visitors.

iI have not done the whole trail I admit, but what I saw was just ho-hum. It might be fun, but it was just plain in my opinion.

I actually camped at Monon Lake, which is about 0.5 miles past the Peninsula Campground on Olallie Lake. This is a great location for camping.

I hiked the Red Lake Trail from the Olallie Lake trailhead. The trail passes Top Lake and continues up to the Pacific Crest Trail, then on to Double Peaks. The last part of the trail up to Double Peaks is very, very steep. The views of Mount Hood and Mount Jefferson are spectacular, and make this demanding hike completely worth the effort.

We started our hike at the trail head on the gravel road off of Forest Road 46. The trail immediately begins to climb through an old-growth forest and continues to climb the entire distance to Red Lake. The trail seems to follow an old stream bed and is very rocky.

We had lunch and at Red Lake and then continued on to Averill Lake, Wall Lake, and Sheep Lake. We hiked to the base of Potato Butte with plans to climb to the top. However, the trail up Potato Butte was difficult to identify and it was getting late in the afternoon. We chose to discontinue our hike and return to the car at the trail head.

This is a very nice hike that is somewhat challenging. I rated the hike as demanding due to the very rocky path during the climb to the lakes. The beautiful scenery makes the hard work of climbing to the lakes worth the effort.