PCT: OR Section C - Highway 140 to Highway 138 (Cascade Crest)

PCT: OR Section C - Highway 140 to Highway 138 (Cascade Crest) is a 68.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Ashland, OR that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, horses, and backpacking and is accessible from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

68.1 miles 9780 feet Point to Point

We started at the Summit trailhead in early November and headed toward Fish Lake (opposite direction from Brown Mountain trail--both can be accessed from this trailhead). We did about 7 miles out and back. Fish Lake is 10 miles from the trailhead, so we didn't make it there. It was about 50 degrees in late morning and there was some snow along the trail. The one bridge across a creek was a little icy, but nothing too rough. There was not a super challenging elevation gain and the trail was well maintained. I'd say this portion of the trail is moderate. Perhaps the most challenging portion was a section of snowy and icy scree; just took a little concentration! :) I might have silly expectations but I didn't find this as scenic as other portions of the PCT or other trails in the area, but it was still a worthwhile hike. I imagine if we had gotten to Fish Lake, I might have felt like the goal made the journey more scenic.