Pacific Crest Trail Through Umpqua National Forest

Pacific Crest Trail Through Umpqua National Forest is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Diamond Lake, OR that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November.

rock climbing

Wanted to get as close to Mt Thielsen as possible, didn't even realize I was on the PCT till later. Trail acceses the peak, but I never did. Begin trail @ 6,000', summit is 9,200', but I only got to 7,300. Challenging verticals, little human contact, trail very well-maintained for the elevation. Heavy equpment needed for trail repair might be brought up by helicopter. No good views of Thielsen to the north, but great panoramas of the SW Oregon interior, Mt Bailey, Diamond Lake and the rim of Crater Lake.

Great hike. Access trail at about 6,000'. You can summit Mt Thielsen, but I only got to about 7,300.

As stated, didn't even realize I was on the PCT till later. What a nice hike. Kind of difficult at times, but worth the work. No breeze that day in late summer, probably a couple feet of snow there by now. But how relaxing, once I got as far as I could.