Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail

Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail is a 50.4 mile heavily trafficked trail located near Cascade Locks, OR and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

50.4 miles 2000 feet

Directions from Stevenson: Travel west on State Highway 14 for approximately three miles, just past the Bridge of Gods, to the trailhead.

scenic driving

Hiked 3/4 of the way to Herman Creek Trailhead. Pretty flat, no real spikes in elevation. A few good views but mostly dense forest and a few waterfalls. $5 to park.

I only hiked to Dry Creek Falls (and had done so by mistake) but it was beautiful!! Kudos to those that do so much more than I did!

Willamette Pass to Santiam pass. Great trail. Starts in the trees with a good climb which then flattens into a trail past several lakes. Then the trail climbs into the meadows at the base of the south sister mountain. As you.proceed you begin to enter the volcanic area. The trees give way to the lava flows and the trail begins to wind around cinder cones and through lava fields. There are several steep climbs and water is sometimes unavailable. The hike was 104 miles long and took six days.

Hiked this section in 1984 on one of my longest hikes. A really nice section of the trail, even when it snows. I hiked from Mount Hood to White Pass mostly in snow or heavy cold rain. I highly recommend the entire trail. During summer of 1984, I hiked 200 miles of this trail in Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks and then from Donner Pass, CA to my end point at White Pass, WA in 72 days.