Opal Creek Trail

Opal Creek Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Detroit, OR that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

A walk along an old road and an opportunity to explore a mining operation abandoned over a century ago.

Opal creek and jawbone flats is a great hike. Have done this hike quite a few times and it never gets old.

love this place. It's beautiful, easy hiking and so much to see and explore. Definitely want to go back and hopefully spend a full day there.

Loved this trail. Really easy going, perfect for me and my older dog. Lots of people but it never felt crowded. Stunning views of the river and fun exploring the community at Jawbone Flats.

This is a great hike. Not too hard, a bit of up and down, lots of cool mining and mill machinery left to look at. The entire hike is just lush and emerald green, what a beautiful setting. Jawbone Flats is a great little village that is completely off the grid, and has some neat history there. Opal pool is amazing so don't short yourself by not taking the extra quarter mile trek through the meadow!

Lovely trail and very special place. Let's keep it that way!

As with any wilderness area (and anyplace in general) please just leave diapers (found one this weekend) or TP (also found a sanitary napkin) 'hidden' under fallen trees, or trash along the way, and if your dog poo's simply push it off of the trail :(.

If you're going to enjoy a place like this be respectful and responsible for your trash- pack it out!

I am amazed how nasty people can be to such beautiful places :(. Also respect the existing historic structures. They are not there to supply you with camp firewood.

Nice trail! Lots of cars even on a weekday morning. I made the mistake of going when it just had rained for a few days so there wasn't a pool- just a lot of rushing water-oops. Easy hike but occasionally there are vehicles on the "trail" which can come by a surprise.

Great hike.

I made the mistake of hiking this trail starting at 4 p.m. in the afternoon. I felt like for a trail that went 3.1 miles one way, there wasn't much variety in scenery. There also isn't much signage that directs you when the path splits up multiple times on the trail. I took the shortcut, at the recommendation of another hiker since the sun was going down. The shortcut has more challenging terrain. Also I didn't know one you reach the destination, you have to climb down some sketchy rocks to get to the pool. I made the mistake of continuing on the Battle Axe Ck. Trail for a little bit before I figured something was wrong and turned around. This is a hike that's only worth doing earlier in the day and when it's sunnier so you can see the crystal clarity of the water.

Jawbone Flats is a neat little town to travel through on the way back. That's one thing I'm glad I did. I definitely advise taking the shortcut to Opal Pool and then going around and taking the other path back through Jawbone.

beautiful scenery

Easy walk along a gorgeous creek! Many places to get in the water. Perfect for a hot summer day.

Beautiful and easy hike... my only complaint would be all the dog poo...pleaseeeee people, clean up after your friends...

Way too crowded. We had to park a half a mile from the trail head because there were too many cars parked on the side of the road from the start of the trail all the way back down the road, then we had to walk to the entrance, pay for parking, walk all the way back to the car to put the tag on the rearview mirror, then walk all the way back to the entrance just to start hiking. So we walked a mile and a half before we even got started. Then there were so many people that it was loud and really took away from the sounds of nature that my family enjoys. The "ghost town" of Jawbone Flats was not much of a ghost town since most of the buildings have been remodeled and turned into cabins, or more buildings have been built to house staff so you can't even explore anything. Opal Pool was pretty, but I think my overall negative feelings about the hike so far probably clouded my judgement on its beauty. But it really didn't feel like it was all that amazing. The leftover mining equipment and machinery was interesting but overall, we did the full 10.5 mile loop and it just didn't feel like the payoff at the end was worth the effort we put into it. We won't be doing this hike again.

Beautiful trail and a great hike. Just wish people would keep their dogs on a leash.

This is a beautiful hike mostly shaded! Lots of people use this as a swimming hole! The hike is long but not hard, lots to see so give yourself plenty of time to hike cause there is so much to explore!

Fantastic!

great hike and very nice all around