Olallie Lake Scenic Area: Red Lake Trail

Olallie Lake Scenic Area: Red Lake Trail is a 11.5 mile out and back trail located near Detroit, OR that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Love this trail. I've done it many times as a kid. Hiked to potato Butte. Great Lakes to camp at once you pass Red Lake. Also went lower lake which is past potato butte. If you're good with a map and compass go to Gifford lake. Gifford Lake is a hidden gem of this area and the trail is very faint. Not many visitors.

iI have not done the whole trail I admit, but what I saw was just ho-hum. It might be fun, but it was just plain in my opinion.

We started our hike at the trail head on the gravel road off of Forest Road 46. The trail immediately begins to climb through an old-growth forest and continues to climb the entire distance to Red Lake. The trail seems to follow an old stream bed and is very rocky.

We had lunch and at Red Lake and then continued on to Averill Lake, Wall Lake, and Sheep Lake. We hiked to the base of Potato Butte with plans to climb to the top. However, the trail up Potato Butte was difficult to identify and it was getting late in the afternoon. We chose to discontinue our hike and return to the car at the trail head.

This is a very nice hike that is somewhat challenging. I rated the hike as demanding due to the very rocky path during the climb to the lakes. The beautiful scenery makes the hard work of climbing to the lakes worth the effort.