Munra Point via Gorge Trail

Munra Point via Gorge Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade Locks, OR that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until November.

My Saturday afternoon cleared up so I decided to give this a go. I made it to the John B Yeon trailhead around 2 in the afternoon. The parking lot was packed with EMS and sheriff vehicles which I thought was odd. I ended up parking along the shoulder and walking up to the trailhead. On the way up I crossed a few small parties that quickly thinned out after Elowah falls.

I stopped, took a break and ate a snack at the first viewpoint on the way up to Munra point. As I continued climbing I decided to lighten my load. I ditched my pack and sticks as it was mostly scrambling up the slick rocks at this point. Right before I made it to the top I came across my first and only fellow hiker, he mentioned I would be the only one at the top, asked if I had a flashlight and wished me good luck. Once I finally summited I took a few pictures, enjoyed the view and began to make my way back. The sun set a lot faster than I had anticipated forcing me to use my handheld flashlight as the rest of my gear was further down trail. The chimney was fairly challenging holding the flashlight in my mouth but by taking it slow and feeling out the footholds I made it down without issue. About an hour of scrambling and carefully checking the trail later I made it back to my pack. I stopped and again enjoyed the view from the first viewpoint. There were a few helicopters circling over head that I thought were odd but didn't look much into. With my headlamp on and sticks back in hand I continued my decent without issue. It was fairly muddy do to the rain/snow that had been coming down the last hour but the exposed roots offered solid footing. Once I made it to the bottom I enjoyed the mostly level trek back.

At the fork to Elowah Falls and Upper McCord falls I came across a SAR team working on locating and recovering a hiker that had fallen earlier in the day. I stopped and talked to them briefly, mentioned I had not seen or heard anything and continued on my way. Once I made it to the parking lot EMS, SAR and sheriff vehicles occupied all the open spots. Looking back on the ridges I could see headlamps and spot lights from the helicopter all converging on one point.

I checked the news the next morning and learned they had recovered the hiker shortly after that with non life threatening injuries. They had fallen before I even started my hike and it took SAR crews over 6 hours to successfully airlift them out.

On that note, I would not recommend this hike unless it is dry and you have plenty of daylight. I did not anticipate it to be nearly that difficult or involve that difficult of terrain. Bring water, bring good shoes, pack a flashlight, snacks and a shell, take your time and enjoy one of the best views in all of the gorge.

Reviewing the timestamps on my photos:
I started shortly after 2PM
Started heading back down around 5:00
Made it back to my gear around 5:45
Made it back to my car around 7

Good luck and be safe.

Parts of it were more challenging than I thought they'd be, loose rock, hand over feet climbing. Definitely wouldn't bring my 9 year old hiking buddy. Actually ran into a bear. Most rewarding hike I've done in this area so far!!

Fun hike. There is a bit of scrambling to get to the top but it is worth the view.

I like to go to this hike instead my run cardio. Love it :)

Totally worth the grind.

Hiked/ran up in an hour, down in half an hour

Sunday funday With my good friend A.M.

Weather changes fast!

Sick view and terrain from the top.

We did this hike on 8 Oct. and started at the Wachlella Falls area. We got to the trail at about 9:30 am and the parking lots for the falls was full so we wound up parking on the shoulder at the off ramp. We walked the little bike trail on the right hand side as you are going to the falls until we seen a little dirt trail going off the pavement marked Gorge trail 400. We walked this easy trail (a couple switch backs at start) for a little more than a mile and took an unmarked trail from there on the left hand side (we came across three parties that missed this turn off). This trail came to a T not long after and we took a left turn once again. From this left turn began the climb upwards. Other reviewers have said you will be grabbing tree roots and rocks to help you upwards, and that is no understatement. The trail splits quite a few times on the way up, but they all merge back together. Keeping to the right going up keeps you in the easier paths, trails on the left tend to be "shortcuts". Save yourself the energy and take the right. The trail has loose rocks everywhere so if you are traveling with others, make sure to give each other distance for those falling rocks! I had some serious doubts for myself on completing this trail because of the scrambles and the exposure. I'm proud to say I completed it. It was definitely a challenge but doable. The final push to the ridge from the chimney was the most challenging of the climbs but was still not overly complicated..just stay low (hips down) and make sure you have good feet and hand holds! There was no rope to assist here. The ridge was beautiful for sure and worth the effort to get up to. Time came to turn around which was more difficult in my opinion than going up, especially the chimney...be confident in your hands and feet and dont freak out if this is your biggest fear (like it was for me). In hindsight, that was the most challenging part and it is mostly mental...just have good hands and feet. We used our trekking poles after the chimney on the way down and still we're slipping and sliding all down the trail. The rocks were slick from the past rain and our boots had a good amount of mud packed in..either way we came down in one piece! If you have a fear like I do, go out there and challenge yourself. Don't let the reviews scare you away, try it for yourself and know your limits.

Worth the challenge!

great hike class 3 scrambling for sure. I took an alpine pack and my approach shoes took me about 4 hours. It is steep and uphill the entire time as a EMT and volcanoe rescue team member I could see how this would be a nightmare for EMS so be careful if there's something you question don't do it. I made it to the summit just fine this hike was a lot of fun I wouldn't recommend bring dogs or kids unless your kid is a Rockstar confident climber up/down for that matter. I'm excited to go back this winter with more technical gear and turn it into an alpine climbing trip with a friend! I brought a camelbak in my osprey pack and a nalgene bottle (I always pack more than I need) and I went through most of it. awesome views your going from the road to the top of the canyon. as far as route finding it's strait forward you follow the trail and you go up. I always carry my headlamp and it did get used after I had dinner on the ridge and watched the sun go down wonderfully beautiful. it was windy so bring a shell :).....enjoy!

Sparky (my husky) and I met some of the friendliest adventurers while hiking here. It's definitely something that makes me proud as an Oregon Adventurer. I look forward to more of these kinds of meetings on the trails versus those Instagram/Social Media hikers who continue to disrespect Mother Nature more than anything. But that's just an opinion so rant over. Lol. Hugh we actually did a double hike from the nearby Wahclella Falls and straight to here. Almost ran out of water in my pack for Sparky and I. Lol. This was definitely a test for Sparky as he's never been on an unmaintained trail like this. Especially this one since it has a more challenging incline/decline environment. We've been to many and I mean, many, places however this was that one spot I wish someone would have told me isn't as dog friendly. We made it all the way to the last incline/cliff spot and he was not able to climb it. He's 70 LBs and has experience but still couldn't get up on that last spot. A lot of the hikers coming down and passing us were expressing some concerns for him. They warned me but I still wanted to see it for myself. With that said I do not recommend dogs. Small or large because one if its a large dog like mine you'll be turning back right below finish and two you'll be doing a lot of carrying/lifting if you do bring a small/large dog. But that could just be a personal experience since I was not able to carry my 70 LB boy up the last spot and he wasn't willing to let me put him on my back. Haha. Everything before the last incline/cliff terrain was okay for him.

Hope Search & Rescue was able to get to the injured man in a timely manner. Heard S&R went to Wahclella Falls and had to turn around and find the right trailhead to Aminta. Quite the misfortune to injure yourself going down but it is a risk factor that's expected on these more difficult hikes. Best of luck on the recovery!

Hope the two girls who went up halfway & backdown halfway wth me made it back down safe & sound too. Kinda lost them when I was looking for S&R hoping to point them on the right trail.

In response to injuries on this particular trail because I hear "a lot" of people hurt themselves here. Please. Safety comes first and no matter how good you look in Nikes & Sportswear it is not recommended for this hike. There are loose rocks and lots of it (especially mid way through). It's rough terrain so they'll slide too. I almost got decked in the face by some people ahead of me. And I almost did the same to the injured man below me because he was laying down at a bad spot. (Popped a knee cap I heard).

Go with gripping trail shoes/boots with proper clothing for the weather.

I saw way too many Sports Gear & Sportswear. Your ankles & feet. #FeelsBad. Lol.

You might need your hands. Just a heads up.

Other than that. 5/5 was fun. Next time I'm here I won't be bringing my dog though just so I could hit the very top. Lol

So on my way down it got a little dark and I was not able to find my 1/2 doggy poo bag. I had a flashlight but I still could not find it. I was able to pick up 2/2 though. So if anyone sees an Orange doggy poo bag do me a favor and bring it down for me. It should've been sitting on the left of the trail (going up) quite visible but I did not see it. More than likely someone grabbed it for me on their way down. Hit me up with a pic if you happen to bring it down I'll treat you to something nice. :) it was ordered online, has unique safety, instructions, warning stuff written on it and I'm probably the only one who uses it so I'll notice it.

Fun climb. Did with my friend in June. Central Point and the Northern Ridge Tip are must see views. Was easy so my friend and I went up the South Ridge and back into the woods another couple miles, but nothing worth going up there besides some fun ridge traversing. Definitely a fun hike, but not overly exerting at all. I say this, because my girlfriend (Having only done Angel's Rest) did this hike pretty easily, so I took her with on Ruckel and she was able to do that. Don't be deterred just bring water, snacks and persevere.

The beginning of the hike was easy until you get to the turnoff point to go up the hill to Munra Point. At first it doesn't look that bad going up the hill, but then you get to a steep section with loose terrain; which I recommend taking your time. After you get past that, expect a long and narrow path ahead until you reach the top. There might be a lot of times when you are using your hands to climb up the rugged trail. The view is amazing beyond belief and was worth the hike, but coming down was another story. I would recommend this hike for experienced hikers or thrill seekers looking for a challenge.

love this hike 2nd only to Ruckle Ridge in my opinion yes very steep and a true test of wits on this hike some of the best views in the Gorge walking the spine at the top is bad ass 5 th time hiking this beast for me best time 47 min up have fun bring gloves watch for falling rocks

Very steep, but the views are incredible and well worth it. I don't recommend if you are afraid of heights. A slip is sure to give you serious injuries, if you survive the fall.

Five stars for the nice view. The view is very similar to Angel's Rest but Munra is more challenging to hike due to the trail condition and the angle of climb. You really need good traction shoes or boots to hike this trail. I used my Brooks Cascadia trail running shoes and they worked great. I am a relatively fast hiker and it took me 1:06 to get to the top going at my average pace and a round trip time of almost two hours. I used the old road along i84 on the way up and took the trail on the way down. You can use the trail going up and down and avoid the longer walk the pave road alongside i84. Warning: If you don't have good traction you can kill yourself on this trail. Ropes were placed in couple areas by someone (thank you) to assist going up or down. The trail itself could use more ropes to increase safety as it is getting beaten down quite a bit. Some of the review states the trail is hard. If you are a beginner hiker or not in the best physical condition then this trail will be very challenging. If you are a marathon runner or do a lot of hiking then this trail is not going to be very hard in terms of physical requirement. For example, if you can summit Dog Mountain in less than 2 hours carrying your standard hiking gear then you can hike this trail in about two hours. If you can summit Dog Mountain in less than hour then you can do this trail in less than an hour, even with the scrambling. Dog Mountain is a good benchmark test for this trail. So, if you can't make it up to Dog Mountain then don't even try this trail and keep practicing some more before coming here. I personally will not recommend it to most of my friends because I don't want them to get hurt here. I am quite surprise that I have not heard of people falling to their death on this trail but a Google search revealed a recent fall. If you want a similar view but without the danger go hike Angels Rest. Anyways, I was the only person on the trail going up and down today. Maybe people were scared to go up there for the sunset but it was beautiful and I had the place for myself. Immediately after the sunset I jetted back down. I made it past most of the challenging and dangerous places before donning my headlamp. Total time was 1:40 minutes to the car. I have read others not recommending staying there after dark. I agree with that recommendation. If you are there for the sun set, I recommend to leave right away after the sun sets and have your head lamp on before leaving the peak as you don't want to search your bag and don your headlamp while going down. Anyways... 5 stars for the view and about a 2.5 star for trail condition.