Mount Pisgah Outer Loop Trail

Mount Pisgah Outer Loop Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Eugene, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

My six year old and I had a great time with this route on a beautiful day in February. It took us the morning at a comfortable pace.

I'm here all the time and love all the trails that I can use. The only thing to watch out for is the poison oak.

We enjoy the Eastside. Less people. Beautiful scenery.

My favorite walk and berry-patch there by the turtle and frog ponds was sprayed with toxic chemicals this spring during the rainy season--beware. Nature Conservancy, Friends, Lane County Parks, BPA--please stop!

There are so many options to choose from when visiting Mt Pisgah / Howard Buford Recreation area. While I don't mind hiking up the steep "Trail #1" gravel road, I do prefer going on longer walks on the less traveled trails. Trails #3 and -- even more so -- #2 have a much lighter traffic, probably due to their length and the fact that they are more rocky/sinuous (#3) and quite remote and easily overgrown (#2). Trail #4 (a more "civilized" version of #2) and trail #5 (mostly flat and going along the river and the meadows) also offer good long walks if "summitting" is not your primary goal (although you can use trail #6 do do that from the southeastern end of #4 and #5).
For someone visiting for the first time, or not familiar with the network of trails, I would recommend getting a copy of the trails map ( http://www.lanecounty.org/Departments/PW/Parks/Documents/HBRA_Trails_Brochure.pdf )

I love hiking here because it's so close to town yet you still get that feeling of being out in the forest if you hike up into the trees...there are so many trails that you could hike all day long. I'm trying to improve my fitness level and hiking out here is a great way to start out.

Mount Pisgah is a decent hike. It's not my favorite only because there's a ton of people, you have to pay for parking and it's pretty much paved gravel the whole way up (the main way) which really bothers me because we are in Oregon, not LA where nature is few and far between. The top has benches built in as well and I just think that makes the nature experience not as exciting, man made things shouldn't be on the top of a mountain.

Nice hike close to Eugene with great views in three directions from the summit. The main trail (actually a fire road) passes through a nice mix of oak woodland and open prairie with many spring wildflowers.However, the mileage stated is incorrect unless one hikes from the main westside trailhead to the summit (1.4 miles), then down the east side of the mountain to the SE trailhead (2.5 miles) and back again for a total of 7.8 miles. Most folks take the main summit trail to the top and back for a RT distance of 2.8 miles, easily doable in less than an hour total. A nice alternative I prefer is to hike the Theodore loop which takes off to the left at the main trailhead and reconnects to the main summit trail about half way up. This route has a RT distance of 3.6 miles. Also there is the bridge bowl trail which begins at the NW corner of the park and heads to the summit via swing hill. To access this just turn left at the park entrance and drive a short distance to the trailhead. There are many additional trails throughout the park including several that skirt the park perimeter. I've been able to hike 15+ miles in a day on these without ever having to retrace my steps.

Fantastically diverse hiking