Mount McLoughlin Trail

Mount McLoughlin Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Klamath Falls, OR that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

When you get up onto the East ridge, take a look at the pinnacles within the Eastern Bowl.

Forgot to mention, sunset in Klamath Falls, 39 miles away, was set for about 4:48 pm...the trail was getting dark at 3:30 pm. I ended up jogging the last 20 or so minutes.

Fantastic hike for it being November...snow at the top, but not bad yet. Windy and cold though.

I am not sure how the trail description comes up with 7.6 miles round trip; from the trail-head on NFR 365 to the summit and back is a bit under 10 miles.

Still, with about 3900 feet of elevation gain and a summit a tad under 10K feet, this is a nice work-out. I won't comment about the views: I could only see due East as the rest was under a see of clouds which, of course, is another to enjoy and experience a summit.

McLoughlin did not feel like a very hard summit to reach (even for these 60 years old legs) this could be due to the fact that the approach is rather short (about 3 miles) and the climb is half under the treeline, which means that the summit is not that far away when it is finally visible. The amount of scree is also significantly under what one has to go through when climbing South Sister or even Diamond Peak.

Rather than the scree, what made the hike harder for me was the fact that most of the last 2 miles is a very rocky path; very demanding and unforgiving on ankles and hips.

Nevertheless a very beautiful mountain to climb and one that I will remember every time I drive I5 near Medford (it is superbly visible from the highway, driving South, on a clear day).

Great hike with the family! Late August and it was probably 65-75 degrees. My six year old son apparently found it difficult. He hurled twice. After that he was fine. Hiked with 4 kids, ages 15, 13, 11, and 6. We took our time. Left the bottom at 9:20. Got back to the car at 7:10. Spent about an hour at the top. Lots of breaks along the way. Still plenty light when we got back to the car. The last bit was definitely the hardest. Used my hands frequently to help keep myself going forward. I'm not fond of heights, and was slightly nervous, but most of the time when I could see over the edge it wasn't a drop. Just a steep slope. Easy to get off the trail near the top, but the bottom is MUCH improved from June. In June, there were downed trees all over the trail.
Great day! Beautiful views!

Made it to summit yesterday. Started from PCT trailhead which made for at least an 18 mile day, so it was challenging to say the least. You have to want this one. Trail is rocky but clear for the most part. Everyone out there reminds everyone going up to keep Four Mile Lake in constant view on the way down. Took my eyes off it for a couple minutes and got off trail for a few. Beautiful forest, challenging mountain. Start early, takes lots of water and have extra water to chug in car on the way back! Sunscreen, good shoes, trekking poles helped me!

Not a easy hike but it is my favorite ! You will want a gps and map to fall back on should you get lost coming down! The view from the top is amazing

The Mount McLoughlin trail is a beautiful one, but definitely isn't for the faint of heart! It's a hard trail, and it's extremely easy to get lost on the way back down. We ended up getting lost, but ended up being able to eventually navigate back down. Be careful! The end has a pretty high incline, and it definitely kicks your butt! This trail is an awesome one if you're training, or want to push yourself a little more while hiking. Watch out for rolling or unstable rocks at the top, and take your time as the sediment and sand up there can be quite slippery. The view is beautiful and gives a lovely view of multiple lakes at the summit.

This was the most frustraing hike I've ever done. I hiked it to train for an upcoming thru hike in the Sierras, but it was not worth the effort. Expect to get lost on your way up and back down several times; it's not as easy as "follow the ridge." There are cairns, ribbons/string, and spray paint marks everywhere leading in all different directions, and this app's map was at least 30 feet off, telling me to head toward a sheer cliff of snow! I had to figure out my own way up and back down. Keep Lake of the Woods in sight on your right @8600 feet when you're coming down or you might end up getting lost, searched for, and rescued in the forest/volcano boulder fields. The views were nice, but there are equally nice views from other nearby areas, IMO (My boyfriend just did this hike and disagrees with me on that, though). I did find that the forested area was fun and had some great views of the lakes at the top, but the peak views weren't as amazing as I was expecting. Above treeline (which takes FOREVER to get to, btw), you'll take 2 or 3 steps forward then slide back 1. Add the altitude and it becomes a very exhausting game. Don't wear any "nice" hiking clothes because you will very likely slip and trip until you get off the mountain. Back in the woods, the mosquitos are vicious. I wore a longleeve dress with bugsaway tights, a mosquito headnet, and DEET on my exposed skin. My boyfriend just wore shorts and a tee shirt and has over 30 bites, and he's still finding new ones a week later! I highly recommend wearing trail running gaiters; mine kept so much sand out of my shoes. The volcanic dirt above treeline is very deep. I also highly recommend bringing a lot of sun protection and water. I brought 3L, drank about 2 just on my way up! Definitely wear good trail shoes. I wore my Altra trail runners, and while they were comfortable, every rock I kicked or slipped on (especially on the way down) ended up tearing up the fabric and bruising my toes.

And finally, parking is $5 cash only!!! I didn't see this information anywhere online and had no cash, so I would've been SOL had the ranger not shown up and allowed me to not pay. He was very kind. I told him I'd pay double next time I do this trip, but you will NEVER see me on that volcano ever again.

Made it 9,000 ft, couldn't make it to the top with the snow and wind pounding us...hard to find the trail in the snow and tracks were covered quickly towards the top. Definitely a hike to do in the summer unless you're a expert outdoorsman. Not much of a view from the top due to cloud coverage :(

Awesome hike. A definite butt kicker at the end though. Be sure to stay on the ridge line going back down. It can get tricky.

geocaching

Great hike, pay close attention to how you ascend, be prepared with water, food and start early.

Hard hike, but well worth. Note that alltrails directions are off (at least in the app). Trail starts mildly enough but you soon get huffing pretty good. The scramble to the top isn't bad, class 3, grade 3, low to moderate exposure. Great views at the summit.

Took me about 7 hours. A lot of people get lost on the way back down from the summit. The kiosk tells you to keep 4 mile lake in sight and if you get lost to head N,NE which is good advice as I began following some footprints and stacked rocks that appeared to be the trail but wasn't and had to correct myself. The last hour and a half is pretty hard consisting of a bunch of scrambling thru/over rocks and loose gravel.

Started at 8pm on July 31 with the Full moon. Was with slower company so made the top by 1am August first. Best advice is to keep relatively close to the ridge once you are near the top and there are ribbon markers to keep you going. I absolutely love the hike! The trail is pretty rough most of the way though so you need to be alert of your footing the whole time. Beautiful views, even at midnight, you can see three lakes and we spotted the lights from Klamath Falls. Smoke from wildfire limited views to the west for us

Top half dificult as was a warm day. We did carry plenty of water and needed every drop. Incredible views as was a super clear day, Could see the Sisters to Shasta. All day hike including time on top.