Mount Bolivar

Mount Bolivar is a 2.5 mile out and back trail located near Powers, OR and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

I really liked this hike. Getting to the trailhead was half the fun. My GPS took me on some out of the way tracks to get me to the trailhead. I advise looking at a recent TOPO map of the maze or roads traversing the immediate area just to get you safely to the hike's beginning. Add to that the recent forest fires in Oregon that swept right through this area had me driving through "road closed" signs to get to the trailhead. However, the recent rains had extinguished all but one small blaze that can be seen from my photos at the top. I ran into not one other human being on the trail or the twenty five mile drive to the trailhead. The hike is pretty much straight up taking you through a lower forested area that burned in 2005. Up the trail from that is exposed on loose rock and shale but not a problem if you have the proper hiking boots. On the far side of the mountain the trail then becomes shaded in old growth trees and is dark and wooded. Night and day from the previous half mile. As you reach the top the trail becomes exposed again. At the top is the remnants of an old fire lookout and a plaque commemorating the naming of the mountain. There is also a geocache container. Absolutely no services so bring plenty of water. Our little dog enjoyed the trek as well

Nice trail with excellent views from the top (every snow capped mountain from Shasta down south to Hood up north). Start early in the day and enjoy the hike. You will walk through various interesting ecosystems as you ascend. Fire scarred terrain for much of the walk and some easily displaced shale, watch your step going up and down. Pretty demanding over much of the trail and significant winds at the peak. No services, no water. Pack it in, pack it out. The road in winter is not maintained and will most likely be impassible. Not suggested during winter months.