Lowder Mountain Trail

Lowder Mountain Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Blue River, OR that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a nice hike through forests and meadows up to a summit with views of the Cascades. From the cliffs you can look down to some mountain lakes, as well as amazing views of the cascades from the Sisters to Mt. Washington, Jefferson, and Hood.

I did not know what to expect with this mountain. I was looking for a lower elevation, longer distance hike. I was extremely satisfied with this one. It took me about 2 1/2 hours total - with a nice 20 minute rest on the summit cliffs. I had the trail to myself. The trail winds through meadows of vine maple and blackberry, with amazing old growth strewn within the forest (look around for it!). It's a little overgrown at times, but I found this to be a fun and rugged trail. The trail comes to a fork at about the 2 mile point. Bear right here up to Lowder Mountain (.8). Walker creek continues to the left. The trail then switchbacks up to an open meadow, mostly dirt. The cairns were very helpful from here. The trail then traces a second meadow, finally reaching a cliff-side vista. I could see the Sisters, Broken top, Diamond peak, Mt. Washington, Mt Bachelor, and Mt. Hood. This would be an incredible place to camp. I will certainly return.