Linton Lake Trail

Linton Lake Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Blue River, OR that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

Easy trail wanders through forest and lava flow, to Linton Lake. Great hike for kids with very little elevation gain.

Loved this hike! We didn't get to the waterfall we had a large group and a bees nest we aren't sure if it was hornets or yellowjackets was stepped on, in the way to find the falls. Two people and three dogs were bitten and stung heavily. Scary moment but everyone's okay. So just be aware. As for the hike!❤️ great elevation changes, switchbacks different scenery from lava rock to maples to ferns and beat grass to oldgrowth to a amazing lake. Beautiful and a great escape. However I wish the trails at the lake were better marked.

Overall a great trail! Getting to the lake is fairly easy- but once you get to the lake it can get quite confusing with the campsites and all of the fallen logs. I worked my way around the lake right next to the shore versus taking the trail around. Make sure you wear shoes that you don't mind getting wet and very muddy! Once you get to the other side of the lake there is a trail that leads up to the big waterfall. This trail was hard for me to find and it was also super steep at some points- however!! Once you reach the fall- it will all be worth it. It's amazing!

The hike to the lake was very nice. The hike to the waterfall was less so. I'm not sure what the other reviewer was referring to when the trail splits. Massive logs to climb over if you take what I think was the upper route. Much better to pick your way along the lake shore until you hit where the falls come down.

I love this trail. The hike is fairly easy, not too steep at all. At one point the trail splits. I recommend sticking to the upper trail as there is less gigantic logs to climb over. The creek does pass through the trail a few times, so make sure you're wearing shoes that you don't mind getting a little muddy or wet. After passing through the designated campsites, I suggest to keep going around the lake to the falls. Once you reach the creek, hang a left to find the much steeper trail. The trail leads you to the top of the falls where some fallen logs make a good spot for a lunch break. Expect to do some climbing or scooting under things towards the top. Definitely worth it!

pretty lake, great for a nice relaxing lunch. easy to find trail head.

beautiful falls on the back side of the lake. worth the effort to climb and see all parts of them.

The trailhead was very easy to find and a nice drive getting there. You will need a day pass, which is $5 and you leave it in a drop box. This was a very pretty hike and the trail takes you through a variety of terrain. My favorite was the lava rocks :) the hike itself is fairly easy walking with some switchbacks along the way. The trail is well maintained down to the lake and has an upper and lower trail. We stayed on the higher trail until it dumped us out in an opening where people can camp. You then can find a trail to the lake, which I do not suggest swimming in due to the cold temp of the water. It doesn't smell the best once you're around the lake and the bank is very muddy and clay like. In some areas you can easily sink into the mud if not careful. There is a stream which you can hear right away once you get closer to the lake. You can either walk around the lake (which we did) to get to the stream or you can go back up to the trail and follow that way. When walking around the lake be careful because you will get wet with mud due to crossing over the water emptying into the lake. There are 3 waterfalls if you follow the stream upwards. Note that the trail along the stream is not like the main trail down to the lake; it's a lot more "off road" and you have to climb and go over big rocks and logs. Just stay along the stream until you can't go any further, then you'll have to go higher on the trail and actually climb a small hill that goes straight up by using roots and limbs to pull yourself up. It'll be a very steep fall to the stream, so be careful when going up, but it's very doable. I DON'T recommend this unless you're in fairly good shape and can maneuver well. Once on top of the hill you'll see the trail again. Just follow that up and stay close to the sound of the stream. It's not too far up on the higher trail and then you'll definitely hear the lower waterfall!! You'll be able to see the amazing view w no problems and get awesome pictures! There are 2 more falls above that one...but I did not attempt trying to find them due to the time of day, and also being very tired from not knowing how hard it was in finding the 1st one. There happened to be a ranger at the beggining of the trail which we got our info from about the falls, and he reported that the middle fall is very strenuous to get to, even treacherous, and the top fall is pretty much impossible. I will definitely be going back to find that middle fall now knowing what I'm getting myself into. Overall a very good hike, a very good workout and very very rewarding! I recommend this trail if you wanna go and explore beyond the lake. But it's not as easy to get to the falls as the pictures might show it to be LOL.... Happy Hiking :))

This is a great hike to beat the central oregon heat. With temps soaring into the 90s in Sisters, we decided to take this short 3 mile hike into the lake. We found much cooler temperatures on the forest floor ( low 80s) and the kids really enjoyed cooling off in the small springs that emerge from the hillside in the last mile. There are better lakes for swimming however, as much of the shoreline was rocky and the submerged brush proves to be a nuisance. All in all, a fantastic kid friendly hike.

Very easy hike into a beautiful lake. It was formed from a lava flow that dammed up several streams. There is no outflow creek due to seepage of water through the lava. Northwest forest pass is required to park at the trail head at Alder springs campground. There are several campsites at the North side of the lake for those who would like to stay overnight.