Lewis and Clark Discovery Trail

Lewis and Clark Discovery Trail is a 12.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Seaside, OR that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Take in the beauty of Tillamook Head and follow a famous trail used by the Lewis & Clark Expedition. Part of the Oregon Coast Trail. The Lewis and Clark Discovery Trail goes from Seaside to Indian Beach or vice versa. The southern 1.4 miles of this trail include/overlap half of the Clatsop Loop Trail and you'll have to hike this as it's part of the trail too. You can continue south 1.5 miles from Indian Beach on the Indian Beach Trail to another parking area.

Hiked this trail from Seaside to Indian Beach two days ago and it was mucky mess! We were literally walking through a cloud the entire time. I can imagine the views are amazing on a clear day, but if this trail isn't dry in August, I don't know when it would be. Be prepared to get wet, wear shoes with great traction that can get really muddy and know that there are spots where the trail has washed out. Overall though, it was a fun one time experience that would have been great if the trail were remotely dry.

Hike was still muddy two weeks ago. Lot of fallen trees on hiking path. Had to crawl under and/or climb over fallen trees. At about the two mile mark from trailhead the trail is washed out. Not the greatest of hikes right now. But, the views are awesome.

Did this on a rainy day. It's really muddy out there right now but still doable. Very pretty hike with the added bonus of hiking the trail Lewis and Clark took to find a beached whale. Not too difficult. Just right for a rainy day.

Muddy! Beautiful.

oh wow beautiful hike!

ok, this was round 2 for us. great hike on a sunny day, trail was mostly dry. we went from seaside trail head all the way through to cannon beach. about 5 to 6 hrs. had the kids with us, 6 and 8 yrs old, what troopers! alot of up and down, but worth the trip.

It took me 4 tries to get this one done, mostly starting too late to finish before dark. It's a nice hike, sheltered in the woods a bit, but there are plenty of places to peek over the cliffs and see the ocean. Muddy, but you can go around it easily enough. Probably crowded on the south end in the summer, but a on a chilly winter Saturday, we only saw a few people.

I hate this trail with my husband and my two kids aged 4 & 7. The first few miles to the campsite was super muddy very slippery but manageable she took a short shortcuts. The legend says its 6.2 miles to Cannon Beach but it's actually 6.2 miles to a cola park another mile and a quarter to Crescent Beach and then another mile to Cannon Beach. So definitely a considerable hike for all of us., I saw some people on flip flops I just have to say what the hell are you thinking. Where some good hiking shoes there's a lot of up and down some great views if you get it on a clear day but definitely worth the trip. Pack a lunch and expect to be in Cannon Beach few hours later.

My wife and I hiked from ecola state park to seaside and took a cab back. First part of the trail, before Indian beach was best. We enjoyed the hikers camp too. Unfortunately the trail from hikers camp to seaside was too muddy.

All in all a good hike. Loved the cool ocean breezes.

My dog and I hiked this trail from the Seaside trailhead to the hikers campground and back, 7.7 miles. The first mile or more is mostly uphill and a bit challenging since it's pretty muddy, but worth it once you hit the summit. Beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean. Plus you can hear the waves crashing against the rocks below most of the hike. My dog really loved running in the muddy areas and sniffing around. There are downed trees and plenty of obstacles to keep it challenging. The hikers camp is nicely located and I am already considering a trip that will involve an overnight stay. All in all it was a great hike. Just a couple tips...being an extra pair of shoes and towels for your dog if you don't want your car all muddy....plenty of water is recommended as well. Oh and if you bring a dog keep a close eye on him if you let him off leash (leashes are required, but we all break that rule), the ledges are not safe and if your pup gets too curious it could be a long drop down to the ocean ;).

Great hike. Wish the views were better. The first mike or so was challenging, with the remainder of the 4 mikes to hikers camp being easy to moderate. Definitely wear the right footware, there is a fair amount of mud.

Great Hike! I got on the trail at 6am to beat the summer (unprepared) tourists. I parked and started from the Seaside entrance. It was a fantastic, muddy, mess that I would recommend. The Coastal Forest was amazing with it's lush greens and ancient giant trees. The trail continued along the coast from the forest so you could constantly hear the water crashing on the shores below, and occasionally were able to peer down the thousands of feet to the rocks and water below. Lots on giant downed trees to climb over and rocks to jump on, around, and over! Lots of boggy places in the trail, but the muddy soup made it interesting. I went 4 miles in to Hiker's Camp, old wooden buildings available to campers, and went down to a viewpoint of the rocks far below being crushed by the surf and viewed a lighthouse out if the coastline. This is a path that Lewis & Clark explored following the acquisition of the Louisiana Purchase in 1804. See it as they did still today. I returned making it an 8 mile trek in just under 4 hrs. It was a good work out and a great sweat. I passed a few totally unprepared people as I was approaching the trailhead upon return. Bring lots of water, it's very humid and sucks the water from your body, and for the love of God, don't set off on a hike this nature with flip-flops or Crocs. If you aren't in shape and have the proper footwear, this trail will not be enjoyable for you.

This wouldn't be such a hike if they hadn't built all those houses on the waterfront so you can't get beach access unless you go to town then you hike South to Haystack Rock or park at Tolovana Beach and walk North to Haystack. It's about the same distance either way. All around the rock are wonderful tidepools just waiting to be explored. Just remember do not pickup the animals or climb onto Haystack Rock and during the summer rangers are on hand helping visitors in the tidepools.