Lemolo Falls Trail

Lemolo Falls Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idleyld Park, OR that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until September.

Lemolo falls can be viewed by two approaches, north and south. The south trail drops down into the North Umpqua Canyon for a view of Lemolo Falls as it cascades 150 feet to the canyon bottom. A spur trail accesses the bottom of the canyon below the falls. Take the "south" trail (#1468) to experience the rush of the North Umpqua River as it roars 150 feet to the canyon below. It is a steep climbe back ot the top. From Trail #1414 (the "north" trail) several cascades can be seen before reaching an impressive view of the falls from across the canyon.

It is a beautiful waterfall. The first part of the trail has a lot of rocks so it is easy to twist an ankle. There were several trees down across the trail that you either had to climb over or crawl under. I hiked it with my dog.

The waterfall and the little cascades along the way were gorgeous! The heat was a lot of handle (bring lots of water--stay hydrated), and the mosquitoes were out to kill. We ran out of bug spray between the three of us applying and reapplying! (Bring more bug spray!) Other than the heat and the blood suckers, it was a beautiful hike with a beautiful reward! We approached from the top of the falls. Next time we will approach from the bottom if we can ever find Thorn Prairie Road (or whatever it's called)! (Also, don't forget the sunblock!)

I came up the hill to hike these falls because it was so hot in Roseburg and I figured I would beat the heat. No such luck. 88 degrees at the trailhead made this trek a scorcher. I took the northern approach to the falls and realized once I arrived at the falls that the better view and preferred hike would be the southern approach. See "getting there" for directions. Francie Skinner's review below has good directions. This trail follows the North Umpqua Trial and parallels the river. There are several areas along the trail you can scramble down to deep pools and splash around in the water if you wish. Mid July and there is still significant water coming off the hills via small creeks that cover the trail in shallow water at some points.

This trail was easy to find and easy to hike!

I took route 1 for this waterfall. Getting down to the falls is great and all downhill, coming back up was longer as it is all uphill. The only complaint was being constantly attacked by mosquitos. As soon as our car door opened the bugs were on us. The waterfall itself was gorgeous. You can make your way down the short hill to walk up to the falls. The area is lush and green. The hike to the falls is worth it as long as you have a good bug spray or repellent to use. The falls were fabulous in July. You will need to wait until all snow is melted to be able to drive to the first route.

Route 1 is an amazing trail! Pleasant, well maintained, quiet...and the payoff at the end is out of this world. The falls are beautiful and the base is easy to reach. Be sure to bring mosquito control. There are swarms throughout the wooded areas. We went in June 2012 with our 9 year
old son. Perfect!

There are 2 routes to get to Lemolo Falls. I have hiked both routes. Route 1 (Best View): At milepost 72.8 on Hwy. 138, turn north on Road 2610, proceeding 4.2 miles. Turn left on Road 3401, Thorn Prairie Road. Go about 0.5 mile, turn right on Road 3401- 800. Continue 1.75 miles, turn right at Road 3401-840. The trail is at the end of the road 0.25 mile. The trail works its way down the canyon to the base of the falls. Route 2 (Limited Topside View): At Milepost 72.8 on Hwy. 138, turn north on Road 2610, proceeding 5.2 miles, crossing the dam to the fork in the road. Take fork to the left, Road 2610 -600. Proceed 0.5 mile, turn left across wooden bridge and park at the trailhead. This trail is 1.5 miles in length, following the North Umpqua Trail. Route 1 is rated difficult and is 1.7 miles. Route 2 is rated moderate and is 1.5 miles. Route 1 has the best views by far!!