Lava River Cave Trail

Lava River Cave Trail is a 0.1 mile out and back trail located near Bend, OR that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

cave

FYI! A lot of reviews and websites say that the bat hibernation closure is in November. I am here now. October 1 it closes. So any out there looking for a rain day activity this will not be it . Good luck. It made me put star rating on it. I didn't want to as I haven't seen it

Pretty cool place to visit. It's definitely chilly in the cave so long sleeves/sweatshirt is a must. I would also bring a hat and even gloves if you get cold like me. When we went it was 42 degrees in the cave. To truly enjoy the cave you will either want a good flashlight or rent one for $4. I recommend each person having their own so they can look around. I'm claustrophobic but the cave was very open surprisingly.

Pretty cool! I was surprised at how big and open it was . It was dark ,so make sure you have a good flashlight. It was also colder than I thought it would be.Next time I will take more time to look around . Slip on shoes not a good idea ( people actually wore flip flops) . Fun!

BEES - lots of them in the warmer months of summer, just before you enter the cave.

Lots of fun! Good for family. They supply you with headlamps, but it's still a good idea to bring your own flashlights.

This is a very cool trek down a lava tube. In many places the ceiling is very high with nice views of different geologic formations. Wear warm clothes and bring a good headlamp unless you prefer to rent one from the site.

Fun for the enjoyment of hiking through a former lava tube! No features like the Oregon caves or more famous Carlsbad caverns. Ok for kids that walk comfortably. No strollers and several spots where having an 18 month old in back carrier required waddling to get under low overhangs.

Make sure you wear warm clothes. Awesome!

Very fun, easy hike. Bring flashlights! During the few summer visits I've made here, there was a small swarm of bees at the entrance, though nobody in my party got stung.

Easy hike. Great to save for rainy days....Don't forget lights and if you do, you can still rent them. Entry checkpoint is open till 4pm.

very simple cave not much going on.

Today was the second day of the 2014 season that this cave is open. It's very busy with tourists because it is so accessable but that won't take away from the experience. This is a huge, high ceiling lava tube and the entire length of the hike does not require you to stoop, crawl or squeeze through tight spots. It's cold enough in there that you can see your breath and you will need a jacket and obviously flashlights. It now costs $5 to rent a lantern. We did fine with a battery powered headlamp and a hand cranked flashlight.

Literally a 1-mile walk through a cave. Super awesome and a great family activity. Awesome opportunities to learn about the cave ecosystem and the surrounding areas. Near Sunriver, very crowded. It is a very popular tourist spot and there are always a ton of people there. $5 per vehicle and you can rent lanterns there.

This was a cool hike in a cave. Bring as much light as possible.

This is a pretty easy and fun lava tube hiking experience. It is a large tube and there isn't much ducking required. It is cold inside so it could be easy to forget to bring a jacket if it's hot up top. You can rent a lantern for $5 or use your own lights and head off on your self guided tour.

Had a great time hear. It is super dark in there so I definitely recommend a high powered flash light or renting a latern. We had dinky little LED flashlights and a head lamp which only let us see about 2 feet in front of our face. It was a pretty cool cave and very spacious inside. It's very cold so dress warm if you go.

great adventure