Lake Ivern Trail

Lake Ivern Trail is a 14.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Butte Falls, OR that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is accessible from July until October.

I finally got back here after nearly 50 years. When we finished building this trail you could have driven a car on it, a bit of an exaggeration, but our boss did drive his motor cycle on it. Rather quickly too, as we had just stirred up a yellow jacket nest. While it was great to visit I was very disappointed in the condition of the trail. It looks as if the Forest Service has abandoned the it. Numerous trees across it that have clearly been there for a few season. I went as far as Buckley Spring which was my goal. I would like to have gone all of the way to Lake Ivern but too much dead fall and I was tired.

The Basin is a great place. Glad I made the trip.

I haven't hiked this trail since about 1967-68. I worked for the Forest Service out of Butte Falls. I was a member of the trail crew that build the Lake Ivern Trail. There were 5 of us on the crew and we worked for 10 days and then 4 days off. Pack mules would bring our supplies in - food, sleeping cots, fuel for chains saws and rock drill, dynamite and misc camping supplies.

As the summer wore on the snow packs melted and we then relied on springs for our drinking water. Back in the days when you could bend down and drink right from the spring. On one of my days off I made a sign using the forest service sign materiel "Buckley Spring". When we got back to the trail I nailed in to a tree near the spring. There was also Jahn Spring for Phil Jahn, another member of the crew.

We setup our last camp near Lake Ivern, "Big Foot Spring Campground" . I don't know if it's still there but I did see a reference to Big Foot Spring in some hiking book. I hope to get back there in the summer of 2015. I would like to visit my spring.

Bruce Buckley