John Dellenback Trail

John Dellenback Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lakeside, OR that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Great hike so glad we decided to go all the way to the beach. 5 miles round trip and just follow the markers. We spotted some coyote prints in the sand neat! I would definitely do this again.

Couldn't take our dog on most of the trail because of the dunes. Part of trail goes through back of campgrounds.

I loved this trail! You get a little Forrest, sand dune hiking and the Ocean. The terrain is not for someone unsteady on their feet. The dunes are clearly marked with posts and it takes you right to the ocean. This trail offers great photo opportunities and a pretty decent workout.

we did not.get to hike the dunes because of our dog, so we cannot really say... the rest of the hike is pretty basic.

Amazing hike! The trail posts are well spaced out to keep track of the trail across the sand. Once you're out amongst the dunes, it's worth it. The last part of the hike to the beach is through a grove of trees, so you get a bit of everything. Keep in mind the majority of the trail is sand with varying degrees of firmness. It is not ideal for those accustomed to well groomed or paved paths.

I liked part of this trail, the difficulty after breaking an ankle is I can not walk on dunes and had to back track. also I think the trial is poorly marked. very confusing once you hit the campground. the first 1/4 mile is nice. I walk to the campground, around the campground loop, and back to my car with the dogs. that part is easy.

great hike has a mix of every kind of beauty

If it is not Summer, be prepared for quicksand, hail, flooded trails and a fun adventure. If the weather is nice, the trail marker posts are easy to find and if the tide is low, the beach is great!

I've hiked here many times. It's easier in the winter as the rain makes the sand hard. Beautiful wide-open views to the ocean. Stick with the markers if you want a trail through the deflation plain and expect the trail to be over-the-top-of-your-shoes filled with water. This area often has interesting wind-sculptures. You will probably have the beach to yourself if you make it that far. I would not do this hike in rain or extreme wind. It's five miles out and back.

This is a great trail if you really want to consider the vastness of the Oregon dunes. Trailhead is easy to find and access, half mile or so of dunal forest, which is a nice warmup to the immense and seemingly endless dunes you reach after a short ascent up fairly soft sand. You can make this into a short mile loop with a view, or you can venture out onto the dunes for literally hours. The trail eventually leads to the beach, but we haven't ventured that far yet --- it is probably 5 to 6 miles but will seem longer since you have to walk over dunes for some length of time. Highly recommended for kids, but remind them of the distances -- that section of trees over there could be much further than you think! Great fun on a cool, sunny day.