Iron Mountain Trail

Iron Mountain Trail is a 3.3 mile out and back trail located near Cascadia, OR and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until November.

Directions from Sweet Home: Continue east on Hwy. 20 for 34 miles to Road 15 and turn right. The parking area is to your right and the trail is located across the road. A second access is off of Hwy. 20 via Civil Road (035). Turn left on Civil Road from Hwy. 20 and follow it to the end. The trail is 0.8 miles long from here. A toilet is located at this upper trailhead.

Amazing trail!! I can't imagine how cool the views would be on a clear day. I went on a semi-cloudy day and still got to see quite a few peaks. Uphill the whole way (obviously) but not extremely difficult. I also parked near hwy 20, but it looked like there was a closer area to park that took off two miles of hiking.

not as hard as I hoped, but great views at the top

Great views at the top, interesting rock formations as well. Not too difficult of a hike but all the switchbacks in the direct sunlight can get warm.

This is a rewarding and dynamic hike. We did the full loop which is about eight miles. The wildflowers were breathtaking and the views are just amazing, especially the rock formations whilst heading up to the peak of Iron Mountain. There is a very nice structure on top of with great interpretive signs. I was very pleased with the whole experience. You cross the highway twice. Bring a map or instructions. It is pretty well marked but our Sullivan book map helped a lot.

Tough hike, weather wasn't the best it even snowed on us! Flowers are beautiful right now

Such a beautiful hike! We started and tombstone and hiked the Cone Peak loop trail. It was amazing! The view at the top was incredible. Worth every step!

Favorite local hike.Late spring is the best time to do this hike in my opinion with the bright wild flowers and cool temps its is an easy hike at first but gathers difficulty fast as you reach the summit....but well worth the hike with perfect views of the sisters, Mt Jefferson, Jump Off Joe, castle rock , Mt hood and Three Fingered Jack just to name few.The ranger station has been replaced with a pressure treated deck with ample seating and a nice directory and lots of interesting info posted around. Great hike for the adults.

Gorgeous views at the top. If you take the loop starting at the Tombstone parking lot to connect to this trail you get better wildflower views. Great hike though.

Fan-freaking-tastic. A strenuous but not overly difficult trek not sure I'd give it a black diamond. The trail is a lot of dusty rust colored desert rock but is surrounded my a vast sea of green that ostensibly stretches on forever, encouraging you to ponder your smallness in nature and to imagine what the world looked like before civilization every corner of the planet. I'm tempted to call this a diamond in the rough, but that's not entirely accurate as I wouldn't call the rest of Oregon the rough. It's more like this is a diamond in a heap of other diamonds that most haven't gotten to yet, but I highly recommend that you do.

This is a great hike and the views are outstanding. I wish we would have done Cone Peak also. Next time

This is a great day hike and amazing views of the cascades on a clear day. If your looking to continue the hike a bit further, then follow the trail down and through the trees to the next meadow or field. The large dome is Cone Peak. It is basically a blaze your own trail up the skree and rocks. When you get to the summit, rest on the large rocks on top for a great view with the perfect breeze. Well worth the extra effort.

While the vertical climb makes one breath hard from bottom to top, it is a relatively short hike and so very worth getting to the top for the panoramic views 360 degrees. Some of the trail, because of steepness and gravel requires you to be careful not to slip. Wildflowers were only getting started when I did the hike on June 3rd 2012. I want to go back in early July to take advantage of what must be a beautiful bloom of flowers.

This hike is not difficult. It is only a few miles long. Even with the six-foot snowdrifts at the peak, it was easy-cheesy. Views are worth whatever "difficulty" you have to muster to get there.

It was a very strenuous but rewarding hike. I would suggest going in july as there was alot of snow still on 5/13. The views are spectacular! Definitely bring a buddy with you as this is wolf and bear country.

Wildflowers, and views of the forest as far as you can see. There is a feeling of going up, up, up, but it is so worth it. A wooden platform where you can see mountains covered in snow. Speaking of snow, there is a little section that still had snow in June. A grassey meadow with a bench to sit on ...a nice resting spot if you want to catch your breath. Quite a few people do this hike, and I have seen young kids (4 or 5 yrs old) up there on the wooden platform who made the trek. It might be hard for some kids. I was glad I put on plenty of sun screen. The vast forest thing was a big selling point along with the view from the top OMG - sometimes I have to pinch myself that I am lucky enough to live less than an hour away from this hike.