Humbug Mountain Trail

Humbug Mountain Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Port Orford, OR that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take a hike up the highest mountain on the Oregon Coast. This is a nice loop hike for some exercise on the wet Oregon Coast. You will hike through a mostly Douglas Fir forest on the way up the coasts highest mountain which can be seen from miles away north and south. Unfortunately the top is a little overgrown so you will not have a spectacular view but there is a bench to sit down on for a rest.

If you're not use to doing hills this isn't the hike for you. If you enjoy seeing beautiful panoramic views of the PNW this hike isn't for you. There are less than a handful of anything close to a view on this one. I have been driving by here for a few years now and the road around it is beautiful so it was in today's plans along with a couple more shorter hikes. It's a nice hike with a nice long hill for some exercise but overall for one of the highest mountains on the Oregon coastline I was disappointed. It definitely seems that the first mile is the steepest part. I've probably done 20 hikes from Prairie Creek Redwoods to Humbug that are far better. I have a couple of friends that want to do this one and if we do it'll be the last time for me.....#278

Enjoyable hike! Beautiful forest landscape and a few good glimpses of the ocean available. Steady climb to the summit; a good workout, but not too tough.

too hard for me. Goes at an incline up the hill/mountain 3 miles then 3 miles downhill back. I am not ready for this hike at my skill level at this time. A do over, one day

This was a great hike! Steady uphill and got the blood pumping. It was a rainy day, but still absolutely beautiful. I'm definitely going to do this trail again some day when the sun's out so I can actually see the ocean!

Nice hike...

Nice trail! Great uphill workout with Forrest beauty topped off with an ocean view! It was a bit misty the day I was here and the higher up I got put me into the fog. I enjoyed the workout and beauty this trail offered.

Good steep hike, but not too difficult. Beautiful! Amazing forest and ocean views! Was a clear day, would love to come back and hike it in a bit of fog.

I hiked this trail with my dog on Sunday. It was rainy and foggy...and absolutely beautiful! I highly recommend this to any moderate/experienced hiker. The trail is very narrow and pretty steep in places. My legs are still sore! I loved the workout and will definitely go back again when the weather is more clear. I could hear the ocean at various different points along the trail, but couldn't see anything because of the fog and rain clouds.

Great trail... Very steep... Wish there was a better view at the top.

Great views along the west trail, but the summit was a little disappointing. Too many trees in the way of the ocean view.

This is a fun hike. It is very pretty and wooded with a couple of little brooks crossing the trail. Its an elevation climb of about 1750 feet. If you leave from the designated parking lot along the 101, it's 3 miles to the summit if you go left at the fork about halfway up or 2.5 total if you go right. The summit doesn't provide much of a view, and you can hear the cars on the 101 for the first stretch, but otherwise, it is beautiful, offering amazing views through the trees in a couple of spots.

Beautiful hike. I went in June '14 and it was cloudy and misting on us through the dense trees near the top. Not much a view due to all the fog but the journey up and back was gorgeous. There are many switch backs and steep in some stretches, but being that it was cool and only 3 miles up it made it very doable, and worth doing again. We went with an 11 year old and he did great the entire trail. Keep an eye out for salamanders and slugs too!

Steep, Steep, Steep! Lots of switchbacks to get to the top. Not much of a view, but a great feeling of accomplishment when you are done. 6 miles up and back.

Fun trail if you don't mind walking up hill. After a mile or so the trail forks with two routes that loop around the mountain and meet up at the top. Make sure you take one route up then follow the other down so that you get to see the entire trail. Small grassy meadow at the top makes for a fun place to sit and snack before the decent. As an added bonus at the start of the trail take the right hand spur trail to a fun tunnel under the highway to a creek with a bridge.

Nice trail mostly under the tree canopy. Not much of a view from the top but still worth the walk.