Hobbit Trail and China Creek Trail Loop

Hobbit Trail and China Creek Trail Loop is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Florence, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This loop trail is part of Carl G Washburne Memorial State Park. The trails are well marked and maintained. The Hobbit Trail has small chutes and openings in the sand and vegetation at the end of the trail that you must go through to make access onto the beach. Children especially love this fun adventure. There are several Hobbit holes to pick from besides the main one and provides some different options. China Creek trail meanders through some beautiful moss covered lush green forests and has a few crossings of China Creek.

Great hike with forest and beach. They are still working on replacing the bridge but it was usable.

Magical!!!

This trail is magical! You hike through beautiful forest and suddenly come out onto a private beach. I have never seen this area crowded. The hike is very short and easy but it still makes you feel like you have moved a little. Simple but sweet! As a side note, the trailhead can be hard to spot on the highway. It's on the left side going northbound and slightly set back. Hopefully there is another car parked to help!

I made this hike a few weeks ago, Took the Hobbit trail to the beach, walked the beach to Washburne, then crossed the highway preparing to take the Valley trail back but found a sign telling me that portion was closed. So, I did the only thing I thought I could do and hiked the mile and a half back to my car along the 101. A truck tried to change lanes, almost hit me, and knocked me down and embankment where I twisted my ankle.

I went back yesterday and hiked the 1/4 mile to the barricade from the Hobbit trail head parking area.... and the "barricade" is simply a little sign hung over a fully functional bridge. After watching hikers and volunteers cross it with no issue, I did too. Afterward, I spoke with a Ranger who told me the hillside is slowly eroding so they closed the bridge as a precautionary measure.

Word to the wise: If you find yourself in the same position, TAKE THE VALLEY TRAIL ANYWAY! Crossing a six foot long bridge that may collapse in a year or two is far less dangerous than taking your life in your hands to take the 101 back!

P.S. The hike is peaceful and beautiful :)

Unfortunately, the China Creek trail is still closed. But the trail from the HWY down to Hobbit Beach was beautiful. Can' wait to go back and do the full loop.

I first hiked this trail in 1986, and it's where I fell in love with OR and decided to live here someday. Hiked it again shortly after moving to Eugene 10 years later. And since then of course. Always magical and quite popular especially in good weather.

Can't wait to go back when the bridge is in commission. Awesome hike, especially, if you include the stretch behind the lighthouse!

Unfortunately, the bridge is barricaded halfway through, so I had to turn around and go back. But the China creek loop is beautiful!

Beautiful forest hike with great views of the beach! You can access the trail from the lighthouse or from around the Carl G Washburne Memorial Campground.

We just completed this hike, starting on the trail head at the Heceta Lighthouse and continuing on the Hobbitt Trail to the beach. This is a beautiful ~6 mile hike out and back through a mature rain forest with towering trees and beautiful ferns and foliage. It is mostly an easy hike but with the rise in elevation, it's a decent excursion through lush scenery and great ocean views. The Hobbit trail portion is a short 1/2 mile jaunt to the lovely, uncrowded sand beach. This hike is a gem if your looking for a half day excursion with a mild to moderate (depending on your hiking experience) hike, I highly recommend these great trails in the Heceta Head and Carl G. Washburne Memorial State Park area.

I started the trail at the lighthouse, behind the lighthouse actually, then all the way down to Hobbit Beach, and back, which is about six miles of beautiful scenery. The trail was wet and muddy, to be expected in January, but that didn't bother me as the scenery was gorgeous! And not busy at all!

We started from the Washburn St Pk campground trailhead. Which is located exactly at mp 176 of hwy 101. Roughly mid way between Cape Perpetua and the Sea Lion caves. The day use parking area is actually on the west side of hwy 101. The trail head that starts from the campground on the east side of the hwy has no parking (that we saw) if you are not in a campsite. We first went on out to Heceta Head Lighthouse then back tracked to the "Hobbit trail" which leads down to the beach. Then 2 miles back to the parking lot via the beach. It was a nice hike of about 6 miles total. The "Hobbit" portion as far as I can tell was all of about 100 ft. But it is all on good trails and through mossy forests with a lot of good view points along the way. Adding the Heceta Head portion has a moderate hill climb but nothing terribly strenuous. Other than that the rest of the hike is a piece of cake.