Hardesty Mountain Trail

Hardesty Mountain Trail is a 10.7 mile out and back trail located near Lowell, OR that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and mountain biking.

A really great place for training runs. I went in late November and there was mud, slippery leaves, dry trails, wet rocky patches, fallen trees, and snow. Some good climbing but nice flats too to recover. Some really technical areas and a patch of tight switchbacks. The trail is mostly covered by trees, so the ground isn't too wet even this time of year, but it does make it pretty dark. If you're going in the afternoon maybe bring a headlamp or flashlight. You get a pretty diverse running experience here! My puppy and I will be back for sure!

It was a really fun trail hard but alot of fun the trail was pretty well marked. lots of trees and not much of a view. Alot of up hill took me and my friend 7 and a half hours for up and down with a few breaks great work out.

Not much of a view at all, nice tough hike near town.

Great hike ...I thought my lungs would burst. ..But I Made It ...if they charge to hike then they should get better signage .

Great! I didn't see another person the whole time. The only downside is faint traffic the whole way.

good hike.needs to be marked better though

It wasn't the best choice for my first time out this year. Somewhat out of shape to say the least and turned back two miles in. Was a beautiful and intense walk with my boxer Harley. He loved the mud and I didn't slip on the way down, which was very lucky. Next time doing Goodman. Great work out though!

This one was a real workout on this rainy January day. 55 degrees at the trailhead at 1 PM, 33 degrees on the summit at 3:15, with knee deep snow drifts for the last 3/4 mile and lots of mud for the first 3/4 mile. Had to break out the flashlights for the last half mile or so as the mud made for slow going. No big view anywhere along the trail, just plenty of those mossy conifers that you know and love.

... ...

m

nn
n
n...

Enjoyed the scenery of this trail, with the trees, flowering rhododendrons and other wild flowers. Would be nice to be able to see more views of the surrounding area, especially with the elevation you gain on this trail, but still a great trail. Be prepared for the climb! We went after a couple of heavy rain days and the trail in lower elevation was pretty muddy and slick.

I have the same observations as other hikers/reviewers. The trail (to the summit) offers very little in matter of "scenic views" (unless we are talking of forested area scenery... lots of that).

A great hike for a workout. Not very many views, but the beautiful forest scenery definitely makes up for that :)

Great downhill singletrack bike riding. A true NW biking experience. A good hike as well, but not the most visually rewarding in terms of distance views. 5 stars for downhill biking, 3 stars for hiking.

Good hike for work out. Not a great vista at the top

We hiked up the Hardesty Trail for approx. 3.61 miles and didn't come to any location that had a decent view of anything other than more trees but if you really like the forest it by itself was pretty enough. The further up we went the cooler the air got and were able to see our breath a bit. Was a bit muddy and slippery over about half the hike and there was a spot where the trail came to a halt and we ran into a service road of some sort but if followed up a little ways there is another trail but it wasn't marked so not aware if it was the same trail we started on or not. I would hike it again but start out earlier in the morning next time.

After not being able to make it to Moon Falls due to deep snow covered road. We saw this trailhead on the way so we decided to give it a try. It was a December weekend and weather was wet but worth it. Seeing the forest in its wet life. Lots of mushrooms and fungi growing everywhere. Also the rain added to the creeks flow and made some impressive little waterfalls. Great place to hike in the other 3 season also I bet.

This was my first hike and thank goodness I'm in decent shape. Was with a buddy who is an experienced hiker and led the way. We did it in December and saw no one. Great views of the high water an fast falls. Although the falls were small they made great pictures. Trail was in good shape, steep and times and washed out in other places. Few times we slipped but was able to keep moving with ease. We cut it short by getting on the parallel logging rd while we made our way back. Highly recommend this hike if you have time to take it all in.

This trail is a nightmare waiting to happen. It says mostly used by hikers, but every time I have gone, either my kids or dogs have almost been killed by uncurteous mountain bikers, The kind that give the sport a bad wrap.

Otherwise, the trail is a great thigh/calf burner. :0)

challenging, but extremely fun trail for mountain biking. going up was difficult but the ride down was well worth it.

A little disappointed with this hike and found "views"to be an overly generous descriptor. Using my GPS I found that I hiked approximately 11 miles (not the 8.8 listed in this description). Most (all really) of these miles were under trees and If I do this hike again I will drive up National Forest Service Road 5835, which intersects the trail, and shave the bottom two miles off this hike.