Elk Mountain Trail

DIFFICULTY 3 reviews

Elk Mountain Trail is located near Brookings, OR. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

easy trail. needs trail work. beautiful views.

This is one of the toughest trails i have hiked. It was amazing and plan to hike it many more times!

Hiked the Summit Trail from the campground with my friend Aaron. We had hoped to do the Elk Mountain Kings mountain loop, but had no idea how strenuous this trail actually was. I would not call it hiking, I would call it scrambling... the 1.6 mile from the trailhead to the summit was the hardest 1.6 miles I've ever done.

I'm sure this would be a great view hike on a clear day, but since it rained constantly on us, we couldn't see anything and we were soaked thru. I could barely get my camera out to take a picture. After the first hour and a half I did not have a dry inch of clothing (even though I was wearing three layers) to wipe my lens.... Yes, I know I should expect that... after all it is a rainforest and it is the rainy season.

After reaching the summit we hoped the trail down to Elk creek would be easier going and decided to try it. We had read on another site that the trail between the two mountains was old logging roads, but if anything that trail was more difficult than the one to the summit. After about an hour we realized it was not safe to continue forward as it was already 2 pm and backtracked the way we came.

I am not sure on the mileage. I have not calculated it on my GPS, and in fact forgot to mark the summit on the path. The sign from near the trailhead says 1.6 miles to the summit.