Cold Spring Trail

Cold Spring Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Klamath Falls, OR that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

Was an easy hike to 4 lakes. Mosquitos were pretty bad but that was expected during the month of July. The trail had a lot I mean a lot of downed trees over the trail.

Beautiful drive, gravel road up to the trailhead. Unfortunately at this time of year the mosquitos are brutal. As soon as I stepped out of the car, they swarmed me from all sides and flooded into the car. I shut the door with some stragglers surely trapped inside and hiked for about a half mile and then went straight back to the car. I stopped at a creek about 3 miles from Hwy 140 and walked around. It was pleasant and there were not as many blood sucking bugs down there. I will try this one again sometime in the fall. I really want to see lake notasha!

South fork between trailhead to Margurette Lake cleared and repaired by yours truly June 2016. Beautiful hike.

Not many bugs, plenty of huckleberries! Great swim in Isherwood Lake.

the trail starts out a little steep, the levels. its also a little over grown, so keep the pant legs on. I don't know if I made it to the very end, there was s huge any hill dead smack in the middle of the trail. I didn't want to disturb it to go the last 1/2 mile.

This is a nice easy hike, relatively flat with many pretty mountain lakes. We hiked at the beginning of July and their were tons of mosquitos, so bring bug spray with deet. The water temperature at the lakes was very pleasant and we were tempted to jump in more than once. The trail info says 5.5 hours but we did in a little over 3 hours and our GPS said 7 miles.

FYI, The springs are at the beginning of the trail not at the end of the trail. My daughter and I hiked the trail with fully loaded 45 lbs. packs on and found the trail to be easy in some spots but medium in other areas. If you're just hiking with a day pack or a fanny pack then this trail is easy. Our intentions were to hike to the springs and come back but we never found the spring. Only to be told by the Forestry department that the spring is at the beginning by the building just ahead of the restroom. Boy did we feel dumb. So I decided to post this so others won't assume as we did. We hiked the trial 5-09-2015 and their is snow on the path along with many, many downed trees blocking the path, so you'll have to either go around them or over them. When we spoke with the Forestry Office in Klamath Falls, Oregon the lady said that they only have three volunteers to go out on the trails to cut downed tree's and that they use a hand saw to cut the trees with so it takes them a while. We were also told that the PCT has over 80 downed tree's on it's path in a very short distance and it will be around 2 years before they anticipate getting the trail fully cleared again. Not sure how accurate that information is, but non the less I thought it wise to include here just in case. Over all the Cold Spring Trail is beautiful and well worth the hike. The only thing that was confusing for us was that we couldn't find any information about the trail so we assumed that it was a 2.7 mile one way hike to a spring where we could get water, rest and turn around, but the trail actually ends where the Sky Lakes Loop trail begins. Be careful as the Sky Lake Loop Trail can lead you to a 28 mile hike if you're not paying close attention.

Cold Springs Trail is an easy hike. The elevation change is about 210 feet from it's lowest to highest elevation; however, the elevation change comes in small broken up chunks. The trail is about 2.7 miles long then it joins Sky Lakes Trail. I headed East on Sky Lakes for 3/4 of a mile and took South Rock Creek Trail back to where it joins the Cold Springs Trail about 3/4 of a mile from the trail head. We hiked by two gorgeous mountain lakes and if you want to add a mile or two you can see another half dozen lakes. There are a lot of mosquitoes so put repellent on. They are not much of a problem while hiking or by the big lakes but when you stop they swarm. This is an easy hike that takes about 2.25 hours of actual hiking time to complete. The trail it's self is dry unless there is snow on the trail. We hiked it on 5/22/14 and 5/31/14. There was a lot of snow on the 22ND and on the 31St there was only spots of snow on the north slopes on the north west end of the trail or loop. By 6/10/14 the trail should be snow free and totally dry. My wife and I stopped for a break around mile marker 2.5 and while resting a dead 50 foot tree fell to the ground. It was about 35 yards from us, it took us by surprise. We also saw a black bear run across the road as we drove to the trail head. You will love this hike. I hear there are fish in the lakes but I have not fished them yet.

Easy access and easy to find.
It's a pretty hike, but there's not much to it.