Black Crater Trail

Black Crater Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sisters, OR that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Mostly trees and shade until the last 1/2 mile. Too steep to run down. Beautiful all around.

Shady trail opens up into beautiful view. Terrific summit with an excellent view of the Sisters

I really enjoyed this hike! It is fairly uphill the entire way there so a decent challenge, but the trail is very evident so no fear of getting off route. I did this hike on my own and had a wonderful time. The summit is windy and cold so remember layers. Took me 2 1/2 hours total and I spent a good amount of time soaking in the view before heading back down.

Good hike with amazing views at the top. The hike isn't exceptionally beautiful (although still nice) but the 360 degree views at the top make this tough hike worth it. Took about an 2.5 hours round trip. I read some reviews that said there were a lot of trees across the trail...it's all clear now.

Final view feels like you are on top of the world

Incredibly beautiful, but definitely a challenging hike and a great workout!

Great hike. I liked it so much that I went up Black Crater twice over a July 4th Holiday Break. The first trip I took my 8 year-old daughter and we made the trip in 4 1/2 hours. There was still snow at the top and we had to hike off the trail and find our way to the summit. I would wait, at least, until July to hike it with a beginner ( just too much snow). The view is amazing at the top.

Two days later, I reached the summit in just under an hour on a solo hike. It's definitely a strenuous hike but the views at the summit are spectacular. If you just need a good workout, it will not disappoint.

Long steep climbs, re-warding view at the top.

This was a cool hike. I went on a Sunday in late June and there weren't many people on the trail. You'll see a sign for the trailhead after you pass the viewpoint and it will be to your left. You don't need to pay a fee, you just have to fill out a self issued permit.

There are a lot of fallen trees on the trail in the beginning which was kind of annoying but fun at the same time. There was quite a bit of snow near the top, but you really don't need any snow gear. I hiked up in shorts with no trekking poles or anything. You just have to be really careful.

The views at the top are amazing. I got up there at about 5pm and I was the only person up there and the last person off of the mountain. Such an amazing experience being alone surrounded by such beauty! Just be sure to bring bug spray because I nearly got eaten alive.

I slid down on the snow part of the way back down but I lost the trail and kind of got lost for a while. It took about 2 hours to get to the summit and 2 hours to get back just because I lost time due to losing the trail. I would definitely consider doing this hike again.

Best views on top I've seen so far in Oregon :)

Excellent work out!

Awesome trail

E

Did this trail last year and it is steep all the way but a good trail and well worth the effort at the top.

My sister and I did this hike in July of last year. The views were superb throughout the entire trail. There were lots of fallen trees over the trgail, but the hike was well worth it. I would recommend this trail to anyone.