Baskett Slough, Morgan Lake, Mount Baldy Trail

Baskett Slough, Morgan Lake, Mount Baldy Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dallas, OR that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

wheelchair friendly

Short hiking trails in the Baskett Slough National Wildlife Refuge. Baskett Slough has two trail heads. The main one is on Coville Road and is a one mile loop trail past an observation platform on top of Baskett Butte (Mt. Baldy) through Oak groves and farmlands and back to the main trail head. The other trail head is on Smithfield Rd. and is the seasonal Morgan Lake Trail. Hike from one trail head to the other and back.

My Mom and I love this trail due to the location and go several times during the year. Parts of the trail are closed throughout the year so definitely a late spring through summer is when you should go.

Fun hike in an Oak Savanna forest. We saw an eagle on a snag, newts, deer sign, mushrooms, and lots of other birds while we were there. Great photo opportunities.

It's steep at the beginning, but kids could do it. The trail is not flat and can get muddy.

They have a pit toilet, but it's usually dirty as it's close to highway 22.

Beautiful area that allows for some incredible views of the local farmland as well as hills and mountains beyond. Many Canadian Geese around the lake, also. Good hike for beginners, but enjoyable for all.

good kids love it

Warning: if your allergic to poison oak this is not a good hike. There is poison oak everywhere. A very simple and relaxing walk otherwise.

The beginning and the end of hike was not to great felt like I was going threw a farmers field. but the middle of it was nice ..but watch out for poison oak.

Hike was ok.... but got swarmed by mosquitos had to turn around 45 min in and I have well over a hundred bites on arms alone. Do not go without bug spray. I have never see anything like it.

Had a wonderful time! This was such a beautiful hike. I wouldn't say this was an easy hike I would say a little more towards Moderate. Got lost a couple of times but the while thing was worth it. Did almost 6 miles. Would so love to go again. The maps they provide are a little confusing which is why we got lost a couple of times but it was well worth it. Would most defiantly go back!

nice park , really liked the sunset

Nice walk with a few people there. No way to get lost and get to enjoy the view. Kid friendly.

I always make a point to stop in and take in the view on the way to the coast! It's a good place to stretch the legs and take in the nature :)

It was nice to walk a water bridge trail. Lots of water.

Pretty easy trail with great hillside, barn and vineyard views. Bugs were a bit thick the first mile but after the tall grass by the pond they cleared out. Not many people and a perfect place for a morning or sunset stroll. Make sure you look up a map or directions first so you know where to park.

My hike here was disastrous here for me and my ex last summer. The first half is great, but the 2nd half was dreadful. Admittedly, we didn't have a map or compass, but we figured it'd be strait forward.

If you go here, go on the trail and just come back when it turns into farmland. It was hot, and there were flying misquotes and a variety of bugs along the "trail" and we ended up walking 6 miles around the park back to my car. Don't plan on going back, but on the flipside it would be much more enjoyable if you knew the trail already, had directions, and are interested in birding. This apparently is a well known bird watching area (the trail head marker even gave some info on the types of birds I believe).

My wife and I took an evening walk here recently. As others have stated, the trail dies off after about 1/2 mile in. We continued on around the lake hoping to see the trail but nothing ever came of it and we ended up walking nearly around the lake via various farming fields. I don't really recommend that unless you are birding. We saw quite a few different species on our adventure.

The Trailhead is located 3 miles North of Rickreal highway 99 W. turn West on Coville Rd. The trailhead is on the right side of the road at the second little jog. There is parking, a bathroom, and a signboard with maps and literature. This is a nice scenic trail. If you drive west on Colville Rd. towards Highway 22. when you are leaving, take care of the California Ground Squirrels, they don't have any fear of cars.

Started at the Smithfield Rd. trail head. Trail is not marked at all. Multiple paths intersect the trail, making it difficult to tell if you are still on tail or not. We ended up off trail and ended up doing a bit of bush whacking. Luckily the refuge is not that big, so it is pretty easy to find your way around.

Beautiful!!! Did this 5 mile hike just last weekend and saw thousands of Canada Geese and loads of other beautiful birds and water fowl ..... So after the "observation deck " on Highway 22, drive west just past a house on the right about 0.4 miles, then double back alongside Highway 22 on this farm road and go down to the trailhead about a mile in. At the trail head is a bathroom and a picnic table. Walk up a steepish incline and then take the trail path on your right! You will meander through beautiful young oak forest and nice views of the slough.