Abiqua Falls Trail

Abiqua Falls Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scotts Mills, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Abiqua Falls is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Oregon. While located on private land the falls are currently accessible to visitors but getting to the trailhead does require some off-roading. Finding the turn off is tricky so it's not wise to simply rely on your phone's GPS for directions.

1 hour ago

This was beautiful. I went in early June in the middle of the week so the crowds weren't too bad. The trail head was a little hard to find even with the directions from this site. The markers from the photos for the trail head were overgrown with vegetation. Once we found the trail head i.e. where the road got a little rough for our vehicle. The trail was great but be wary of the steeper route if you bring your pups. The waterfall was worth the trouble and the overall scenery was once again beautiful.

We drove all the way to the trail head so it was a very short hike. Enjoyed actually getting to the falls but it was very crowded.

Absolutely incredible waterfall. Extremely easy hike if you are able to drive down the road to the trail head rather than walk. From that part only took us about 20 min. On GPS the directions say to stop up at a clearing and the hike is way down the road. The roads pretty rough but if you have any type of SUV or something of that sorts you're golden. Might be my favorite place. Highly reccomended

I went there with my three kids, summer of 2016! We truly enjoyed it. Absolutely breathtaking!!

They weren't lying when they said the road was rough. I didn't want to take my chances so we parked in the small dirt lot before things got really bad. We walked all the way down and it was pretty far and rocky. Once we got to the trail it wasn't as difficult as expected to be plus very rewarding at the falls. My partner and I met some pretty nice locals there who actually gave us a lift all the way back to our car... which honestly I couldn't have been more grateful for

Intense hike but worth seeing the waterfall

Hard hike but definitely worth it! Wished the road was better so we didn't have to park so far away, but oh well!

DO NOT go when it's wet out. The steep area lead to me slipping on rocks and falling down the hill. The rocks are all unsteady and will roll from underneath your feet down to the river. I nearly got knocked unconscious from a falling rock the size of a large watermelon. Once I reached the bottom, I couldn't find the trail after about 5 minutes of hiking. It then took me and my dog, who kept slipping and became terrified, a good 30 minutes just to get up the hill due to the slippery ground, which repetitively gave away beneath our feet. Maybe it's better when it's dry. Or maybe it recently underwent a washout. But I would NOT recommend this trail to anyone. It quickly became a very dangerous situation.

It was amazing. If you want to get there via Google Maps use Crooked Finger OHV as your marker. Takes you right to the crappy road the last 2 miles. And a Subaru Forrester (8.7 in ground clearance) did fine on the road, granted those are big pot holes.

Sooo beautiful, tough road. Definitely need 4 wheel drive SUV type to get to the trailhead. Pretty steep trail, but lots of ropes to help you down. Was super muddy when we went but that made it even more fun! Definitely more than worth it trekking down to the falls. Highly recommend. Not great for young kids.

Do your research and look up directions to Abiqua Falls before you go! I'm sure glad I did or else I probably wouldn't have found it! There's no cell signal so luckily I was already aware that there is a long stretch of unpaved road you have to drive on to get there. If I could do this all over again, I would take an SUV or a high-clearance vehicle that could make it all the way to the parking lot by the trailhead. I parked at least 1-2 miles away from the trailhead because there were too many giant holes in the road and I didn't want to risk damaging the frame of my Impreza. I wasted a lot of time walking from my car to and from the trailhead.

I wouldn't take children on this trail unless they're up for super challenging terrain! It gets steep and rugged during the majority of the trail. There's some parts I definitely wouldn't have made it over if it wasn't for the ropes that were there. I can't tell you how many times I asked myself if I was going the wrong way as I neared the waterfall. But luckily, I ran into a couple people coming back that reassured me I was going the right way.

Once you finally make it, it's all worth it! The view is BEAUTIFUL! My pup and I were so fortunate that there was no one here so we got the whole place to ourselves! Definitely a place I would choose for a date or a picnic.

Had a hard time finding it but looked through the comments and found a solution thankfully!

Do not go past the gate at the bottom once you make it to the bottom. Made this mistake and ended up hiking an extra 3 miles past so 6 miles extra to complete this journey. There will be a Orange arrow before where the cars are parked at the bottom in front of the gate. Overall though great intensity otw back specifically and worth the hike once you make it. I recommend bringing a jacket it's windy and do not go past 2pm, try again the next day. Also, drive a truck so you can go straight to the trailhead if you park at the beginning to avoid divots, the hike back is all uphill and that's a good 2.5-3 miles to the car.