Abiqua Falls Trail

Abiqua Falls Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scotts Mills, OR that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Abiqua Falls is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Oregon. While located on private land the falls are currently accessible to visitors but getting to the trailhead does require some off-roading. Finding the turn off is tricky so it's not wise to simply rely on your phone's GPS for directions.

Intense hike but worth seeing the waterfall

Hard hike but definitely worth it! Wished the road was better so we didn't have to park so far away, but oh well!

DO NOT go when it's wet out. The steep area lead to me slipping on rocks and falling down the hill. The rocks are all unsteady and will roll from underneath your feet down to the river. I nearly got knocked unconscious from a falling rock the size of a large watermelon. Once I reached the bottom, I couldn't find the trail after about 5 minutes of hiking. It then took me and my dog, who kept slipping and became terrified, a good 30 minutes just to get up the hill due to the slippery ground, which repetitively gave away beneath our feet. Maybe it's better when it's dry. Or maybe it recently underwent a washout. But I would NOT recommend this trail to anyone. It quickly became a very dangerous situation.

It was amazing. If you want to get there via Google Maps use Crooked Finger OHV as your marker. Takes you right to the crappy road the last 2 miles. And a Subaru Forrester (8.7 in ground clearance) did fine on the road, granted those are big pot holes.

Sooo beautiful, tough road. Definitely need 4 wheel drive SUV type to get to the trailhead. Pretty steep trail, but lots of ropes to help you down. Was super muddy when we went but that made it even more fun! Definitely more than worth it trekking down to the falls. Highly recommend. Not great for young kids.

Do your research and look up directions to Abiqua Falls before you go! I'm sure glad I did or else I probably wouldn't have found it! There's no cell signal so luckily I was already aware that there is a long stretch of unpaved road you have to drive on to get there. If I could do this all over again, I would take an SUV or a high-clearance vehicle that could make it all the way to the parking lot by the trailhead. I parked at least 1-2 miles away from the trailhead because there were too many giant holes in the road and I didn't want to risk damaging the frame of my Impreza. I wasted a lot of time walking from my car to and from the trailhead.

I wouldn't take children on this trail unless they're up for super challenging terrain! It gets steep and rugged during the majority of the trail. There's some parts I definitely wouldn't have made it over if it wasn't for the ropes that were there. I can't tell you how many times I asked myself if I was going the wrong way as I neared the waterfall. But luckily, I ran into a couple people coming back that reassured me I was going the right way.

Once you finally make it, it's all worth it! The view is BEAUTIFUL! My pup and I were so fortunate that there was no one here so we got the whole place to ourselves! Definitely a place I would choose for a date or a picnic.

Had a hard time finding it but looked through the comments and found a solution thankfully!

Do not go past the gate at the bottom once you make it to the bottom. Made this mistake and ended up hiking an extra 3 miles past so 6 miles extra to complete this journey. There will be a Orange arrow before where the cars are parked at the bottom in front of the gate. Overall though great intensity otw back specifically and worth the hike once you make it. I recommend bringing a jacket it's windy and do not go past 2pm, try again the next day. Also, drive a truck so you can go straight to the trailhead if you park at the beginning to avoid divots, the hike back is all uphill and that's a good 2.5-3 miles to the car.

Difficult to find. Go about a mile past when the pavement turns to gravel- Hang a right onto another gravel road marked with ATV signs. Then keep going straight for a ways (go slow- super bumpy) until you read the parking lot on your right. I'd suggest parking here unless you have an SUV. Then walk to the trailhead (which is marked with Abby Foundation signs). The trail itself is quite steep but there are ropes to help you! The falls is incredible!!

Hard to find that trail since no sign in sight. Definitely the worth it! Falls is the most beautiful waterfall I have seen here in Oregon. We have so many beautiful falls here but this trail is so amazing!

8-28-16. The road to the actual trailhead is fun if your in a 4x4 with good tires and some ground clearance. With that said its a short hike from that point, but most people park and walk down the road to trailhead. The trail now has some ropes to assist you down the steep part, though not needed. Casual walk up the creek bed to an amazing waterfall. Only giving this 3 stars because not really much of a hike, though 5 stars for the actual waterfall.

Getting to the falls is tricky, especially if you have a small car. You must travel down NE Crooked Finger Road, pass Camp Dakota until you hit unpaved road. You can use your GPS to get to Camp Dakota, but continuing on, it is useless. Travel till you see a large post with multiple signs to your right (a little over a mile). It's specifically marked for ATVing. Some hikers have graffitied "Abique Falls" on the signs as a marker for people to make the correct turn. Go straight on the gravel road, ignoring other small pathways along the way. There is a slight fork in the road at some point. Make sure to go left. You will want to take it easy if you have a small car (like mine) but you will make it down to the parking lot, which is a large, open dirt field (to your right.)
If you have an ATV (large trucks, or any other durable cars will do), this would be the best time to use it. Without one, you will not be able to have access to the actual trail head to the falls unless you hike from the parking lot (which is what we did.)
Anyone who chooses to take their car down to the trail head, get ready for a bumpy ride. And I mean a REALLY bumpy ride. The road is absolutely littered with pot holes and large rocks. Regardless if you walk/drive, it will be about a mile downhill till you hit the trail head.
The trail head is marked with a large white sign (marked with "Abby Foundation of Oregon"). That will be to your left. You will then leave the dirt road (whether you hiked/drove there) and enter wooded area. From there, you follow the trails marked with rope until you hit a river.
The trail heading down to the river is all downhill, and VERY steep. Be extremely careful, and use the ropes. If you are traveling with others, or if there are other hikers around, be especially careful for falling rocks. The pathway has loose rocks and gravel, and they will hurdle towards you if the person above you is scrambling around (personal experience, thanks Nicole.)
Turn left. This will take you upstream. Please, PLEASE bring bug spray. You'll thank me later. As you circle around the bend, the canyon will open up and curve around you. Of course, the falls should be right in front of you by then. The water pools at the bottom, so if you're up for a swim, go for it. The water is frigid though!
Bring plenty of water. Getting to the falls is pretty easy (since it is downhill after all), but heading back up is brutal if you aren't used to it. Like I had mentioned earlier, be very careful for falling rocks on your way back up. You're thighs will feel like concrete by the time you make it back to the top. Like I said, very steep.
I personally wouldn't recommend it for young children or dogs, but it is doable. We did see many hikers with kids and dogs. It's safe to assume they had plenty of help going up and down the steep mountainside.
Also watch out for those damn orange/black caterpillars. I don't know how he got there, but I had one crawl up my butt and almost into my pants.

I hike a lot and this one was still pretty rough for me. We parked about 1.5 miles up the hill from the head of the true trailhead. The red trail line on this app includes the road that a 4-wheel drive can handle. Don't try to go past the turn off of the main road in anything less than an SUV. The trail itself was a physical challenge all downhill going and all uphill returning. The closer you get to the creek, the steeper the hill so someone has added ropes to help.
We ended up hanging out at the lower falls immediately to your right when you reach the creek. It was perfect for cliff jumping, swimming and laying out.
We parked about 9:30 am and had the whole place to ourselves until our way out at 11:30 am.

I have to say your app help me and my family, because at first we had hard time to finding it.
Hard hike but totally worth it. Beautiful fall at the end.

Awesome hike. I'm in awe. All trails were on point with the directions.

Do NOT go past the gravel parking lot if you do not have a high clearance vehicle. Other than that, loved this hike