Sparrow Hawk Primitive Area Trail

Sparrow Hawk Primitive Area Trail is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tahlequah, OK that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Sparrowhawk trail is beloved by thousands of college students and river rats who visit the Illinois River near Tahlaquah, Oklahoma. It sports some of the most beautiful views in northeastern Oklahoma. There are several adjoining trails off of the main one.

one of my favorite trails in Oklahoma

Need help--
Hiked this trail Sat. Could not find the two rock outcroppings shown in the pictures. We found "look out point" but couldn't find the others. Where did we miss this.
We are planning on going back. If you can offer some help please let me know.
The trails are beautiful.
If you can offer some help I'd appreciate it.
stevewjohns@outlook.com

Trail had some amazing bluff views. I would definitely do this one again!

I just did the Appalachian Trail from Springer 720 miles to troutdale and if you are planning on doing the Appalachian Trail this would be a great Training ground has a lot of ups and down hills you'll find on the Appalachian Trail put equipment and 4 day food and 2 liter of water in the pack that you plan on taking I recommend about 30 pounds and do it about three times will be about equal first days on the Appalachian Trail

Beautiful scenery and good cardio workout with several up and down sections. Dog friendly. Should not hike during deer season as hunters can be plentiful.

Very beautiful views at the top of the trail. It has some good hills to climb. Now that you have to have a hunting or fishing license I haven't been back, even though I have a fishing license. It probably shouldn't be on the list cause If you didn't know this the authorities will write you a ticket.

beautiful place to hike. that first half mile is tough, very uphill. really cool bluffs and river scenery.

You need a permit to hike here! But the views were pretty awesome!

This was a beautiful trail and was fun to hike. There were a few steep rocky portions that were more than tough enough for me but the views were well worth it. I don't think we'll go back, however, due to the fact that we were ticketed $200 at the end of the trail for not having a hunting or fishing license. We explained that we were only hiking and thought we wouldn't need a license. It was explained to us that was not the case and that anyone who enters the area is required to have a license because the department of wildlife conservation owns the land. Also that in two weeks hunting season will open and since we don't hunt, don't know the "seasons" and don't wish to be shot we will probably be choosing a different trail next time.

My roommate and I have hiked this trial twice before today and loved it. talequah is a beautiful area, and this is a great trail. But today we were stopped by two state game wardens who wrote us a citation for hiking without a "conservation passport". It was a $100 admin fee. I would caution anyone (even if you're not hunting or fishing!) to either avoid the trail or have this on hand. Best of luck!

Easy trail. If your in the area.

This is a great little trail. The description says that it's a loop, but it is pretty much a down and back trail. There are signs posted that say you must have either a hunting license, fishing license or a wildlife conservation passport to be out there. Before I went I read an article in the Tahlequah Daily Press that confirmed this. The fine is $206. The trail was clearly marked until you get to the end at the village. I couldn't find the tiny loop so I just turned around and went back the same way. The views were spectacular. The terrain goes up and down like a roller coaster. I loved it.

Nice, gentle (the roughest portion is the first 50 yards or so from the parking lot) trail with a few moderate climbs to nice views. My dad and I went for a hike/trail run on a Saturday morning and saw no one, yet the trail was well-marked, kept, and clean. I only saw one tick that I flicked off my knee, and the gnats hovered around me when hiking, but they couldn't keep up with my run. :) I wish I lived closer so I could run this gem more often!

It's always nice to find a trail like this that's perfect for a day hike with the kiddo and dog. Lots of gorgeous views to take in. Just challenging enough to get a good workout but not so strenuous that younger hikers can't complete it. There's plenty of offshoot trails so that you can spend a lot of time exploring. There were no water sources so we were glad we brought Camelbacks and plenty of snacks. All in all, an enjoyable little day trip.

There is no fee, just park and walk.if you choose to split off onto hinghams trail there are wild turkeys out there.

Great Trail for everyone! Starts off steep but it's a short climb. Awesome views from outcroppings of rock cliffs (Be Careful!). Would have given 5 stars but I've heard there's a use fee now! Not Cool! Volunteers were taking care of this trail but not now!