New Horizon Trail

New Horizon Trail is a 1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lone Wolf, OK and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

1.0 miles Out & Back

This half-mile trek up the side of a boulderous hill is worth the trouble. Built in 1975 by the YCC, a group of high school students, the climb is a display of the stark beauty of Southwestern Oklahoma. On top, the view of Lake Altus-Lugert is stunning.

As stated in the previous reviews, once into the trail there are no markers that I noticed. It really does not matter. Find your own path. It makes the hike more interesting. It is a nice, short route. I enjoyed the views at the top. Trailhead is marked well with good parking. The park is very nice. Recommend the lake view rooms at the lodge. Enjoy.

Very fun little hike, especially if you only have a couple hours. Virtually no trail markings, other than trafficked paths. Leaves a lot up to the hiker, which I like. Lots of rock crawling.

Our first hike! It was good for a first one! We wish it had some sort of marker system, but we are so green to hiking that I'm sure it's a low priority.

Cool hike for an afternoon. Great views at the top. The trail was pretty much nonexistent after the first few hundred feet. We stumbled across a few short posts in the ground but any signs indicating which way you were supposed to go were long gone. Any way you get to the top you will have to climb over boulders so it can be a challenging hike for some. Didn't see any snakes but it definitely seemed like prime snake territory.

I have hiked this trail a couple of times and it is a good hike to get started on if you are new to hiking. For the most part the trail is easily followed but some parts are not well marked. Wear good shoes and take water and cell phone for emergency use.

One thing to note is you will need to stay alert for snakes. There are lots of rocks for them to hide under on the trail.