Elk Mountain Trail

Elk Mountain Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Indiahoma, Oklahoma that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From I-44 take Highway 49 (exit 45). Go west 10 miles to the Refuge gate. If coming from Highway 62, take Highway 115 (Cache exit) north to the Refuge Gate.

Fun and perfect for families. Not as well marked as I thought it would be.

Love the trail it was a challenge and was a hidden gem.

Probably the best hike in Oklahoma, I may be wrong but this was a pleasant surprise, I did not expect the trail to be much fun but I truly enjoyed it. It reminded me of some of the walk around trails near Garden of the Gods in CO Springs. Anyway, I definitely recommend the hike if you're in the area or from the area!

Beautiful.

A great trail, but not long enough. Occasionally rocky with a few steep parts, but overall, not all that difficult. The view from the top is terrific. I saw a coyote, a Longhorn steer, several deer and a multitude of birds along the way. I took a side hike over to 'Covered Wagon Rock' but still found myself wanting more.

Good over all trail, not too challenging of a hike. Once you get past the first area with the rocky stairs it does get a little easy to get off trail. But great view once you make it to the top.

Great view on summit, first I was worry about my kid can't make all the way to the summit, but they made easily, great trail for family.

Great views of the wichitas from the summit! Hiking this trail in the fall brought great views amidst changing leaf colors. This trail is not very well marked and we missed the trail coming back down. There are some worn areas that look like trails but they are not. Only saw about 6 other people on the trail. The summit has a wide area to check out with radial views of the park. Took us maybe 1.5 hours round trip including enjoying the summit for a bit.

Had a blast here. Not going to lie, friend and I left the trail to go up the boulders and get a nice view. Still, great place and enjoyed it all. Once we got as high as possible, sat back and enjoyed the view. Slight mist and low cloud coverage with a brisk breeze made this hike even better.

I hiked this trail yesterday. There was a slight breeze, temperatures in the low 80's and plenty of sunshine. The trail started out easy, but kinda had to guess how to find my way up because it wasn't marked very well, but overall, wasn't too difficult to find your way up. The same story on the way down; many trails diverged, but ended up at the bottom where we started. About and hour and half up for me and my friend and about an hour down. The views were beautiful and the top was a very nice place to rest, take pictures, reflect, and climb around. I got to see wild buffalo from a distance, that was cool. A lot of wildflowers and cool rock formations. It's a bit of a climb, but worth it. I had a hip replacement three months ago and took this on as a challenge. It was quite a challenge, it pushed me to my limit but I am relatively young and somewhat fit so it was do-able. I saw many children with their parents along the trail, and people with dogs. Make sure to take a bottle or two of water with you as well.

Great day hike! Took us about an hour each way and we spent about an hour at the top climbing around, eating lunch, and taking pictures. Our little dog had no problem on the trail but I could see how it might be difficult for some young kids or dogs. Can't wait to go back!

Quick, fun hike with some great views of the Wichitas.

Great place to get back on "the trail" if you haven't been hiking for a while.

Nice hike with heavy traffic during our late summer trip. More people on this trail than I care to see. We began from the Sunset picnic area (near range headquarters). With my 10 yr old, took an hour to summit, spent about an hour messing around up top and a half hour coming down.
Next trip we will enter from the back side and go through the Vally of Boulders (which should make the adventure even better)

Awesome trail, not too far but a good climb right around 600 feet ascend/descend with the summit being about 2200 ft alt. Great workout for us and our dog, with awesome scenic views and I proposed at the summit!

Beautiful hike. Views from the top are spectacular. Roughly 2 miles to the top and back. Took me a total of 2.5 hours with only 45 minutes of that being walking time. Took a lot of breaks to soak in the views, plus it's July, it was hot.

The trail is not marked once you start hiking, but I thought it was pretty clear which way you needed to go.

Great hike. Our favorite one we did on OK. We thought it was pretty challenging. A lot of boulder jumping which we love but not for everyone. I'd think it would be tough with a dog. We did it in mid-July. Take a lot of water!