Buckhorn Hiking Trail - Lake Murray State Park

Buckhorn Hiking Trail - Lake Murray State Park is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Ardmore, Oklahoma that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1.4 miles 137 feet Point to Point

This is a short hiking trail within Lake Murray State Park This is a very basic trail that follows the lake and crosses a small bridge at one point.

Very family friendly trail to hike, my son (21 mos) and wife came with me on this hike. Son was in a carrying back pack, little under 2 hours and no issues at all. Well marked, great view of the lake, no complaints.

I like all of Lake Murray's trails, however I usually hike them by myself, had never done buckhorn until today. very easy hike, good trail to stop and take in nature. Very family friendly imo, and that was the most important part for us on this hike. saw lots of people with their dogs and kids who were old enough to hike without assistance.

Highly recommended for beginners, families, or if you're just looking for a nice little get away.

not well marked but it was fun and shady. about 2 hours depending on your pace

I hated this trail no trail markers or nothing. Too many trails that wander off in the woods somewhere.

Completed part of the trail this week with my trusted fur companion. Started at the trailhead and took about a 2 hour hike to a fork in the road, then headed back to the trail head. The trails were great at the start, well marked and well kept but once you crossed the second bridge the trails were much more narrow, less marked, and not well kept at all-but that may be because of our awful weather we've been having. There was one trail (I didn't pay attention to which one it was) that had a long bridge that was super sketchy looking, obviously we decided against that trail and headed elsewhere. I think their bridges definitely need a little TLC. We stopped at the main lodge for a trail map, they continue for about 20+ miles so we definitely needed one to stay on the right trails.
I'll be back to go on more trails!

This is a nice short hike that anyone can do and is great for families. Lake Murray has several different trails that add up to over 26 miles of trails. This is just one short section of that. Lake Murray Hikes are not difficult but one would be hard pressed to walk the whole trail in one day. Lots of wildlife is visible and I dodged a water moccasin and a rattle snake just this weekend. Deer tracks and hog tracks are plentiful.

This trail is 2.2miles long with two bridges that cross the lake it goes to the Elephant Rock Tipps Point camp grounds. It's excellent for hiking and biking. There apparently used to be some guided markers but they were vandalized and not repaired. There are many rock outcroppings and forested areas along the trail. It is part of an extended trail system that goes to Ardmore city limits and encompasses 25 miles of trail.

Me and my wife hiked this back in March of 2007 on a nice evening. The trail is short and the majority of it is in a gully where you can't even see the lake. The trail is actually quite boring and not well marked. Maybe it has improved in the last five years but at the time the trail needed a lot of TLC. It's not bad if you need a walk but is certainly not the highlight of what is a fantastic state park (check out the castle!)