Logan Hollow Trail

Logan Hollow Trail is a 12.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chillicothe, OH that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

12.1 miles Loop

Tried starting at the South Loop entrance near some campsites. A fallen tree blocked the path 0.6 miles in and was not equipped to go around on the graded slope and decent undergrowth. Turned around. Thankfully continued up to the fire tower and found the well marked system of trails. Just after taking the Logan Trail across the access road about 5 miles in, we quickly lost the trail soon after bypassing another downed tree. Doubled back and walked the road back to the tower. Decent incline for approximately .75 miles was a good workout. We will return to finish the rest of the long loop! Total mileage - 6.09 miles

First Backpacking trip for boy scouts

hiked this trail a couple years ago! sounds like not much has changed. A tick breeding ground in the dead of summer. ..

Did north and south loop.
Trail can go through grass and tall bushes; easy to get wet from dew or rain residue.
Ground is rocky in places.
Sometimes you're following a muddy road that's been driven on and the blazes duck away down a tiny path back into the forest.
Plenty of spider webs that can get in your face during summer.

South loop has a small extra loop on the end.
I went down there and 3 big blazed trees were fallen over on the trail, with a timber rattlesnake in the roots.
On the way through the extra loop there was a spot where the trail runs through a thicket of thorns and the trail hasn't been walked at all recently, the blazes emerge out of the grass about 200 feet up the hill and are nowhere to be seen prior...

There's was a 2nd loop on the end of the south loop that's not mapped and I didn't walk, it appears to be an obsolete trail and has grass and fallen trees all over it.

All that down, I enjoyed the walk.

It appears the publisher of this trail located it in the wrong location and named it incorrectly. It is known as the Logan Trail or Logan Boy Scout Trail. It is located in Tar Hollow State Forest. It is near Chillicothe, but to the East, not to the South.

Though I only hiked on the Logan Trail briefly (Backpack Camp to Logan State Park General Store), I could not track my trail through my mobile app and experienced some minor difficulties. I'll attempt in the future as this is the closet backpacking trail to Columbus, where I'm from.

Being a beginner to explicit backpacking and backpacking surivival in Ohio, I have some experience from long stays in various forested hill and mountain regions. I found the trail to be less extreme than the Covered Bridge Trail located in Wayne National Forest, but still very rough and pleasantly secluded for a Central Ohio backpacking trail. It was also less brutal than the East Fork Backpacking Trail, which was very fun to visit.

This gets 5 stars from me because I enjoyed the backpacking camp near the fire tower, with easy access to your vehicle to the camp while placing the camp firmly in the forest. Though there was a small amount of debris from prior campers that wasn't cleaned up, for the price of $4/individual/night, that wasn't a problem for me. I'll write a longer, stronger review when I complete either the North or South loop of the Logan Trail. Also in the area is a large section of the Buckeye Trail, which is very interesting to also check out in the Tar Hollow State Forest. Because the campsite is near the middle of the Logan Trail figure 8 and also crossed by the Buckeye trail, this proximity makes for fast and easy different hiking experiences using the backpack camp as a base. I feel casual day hikers and experienced backpackers both would have a great deal of fun out here.

I agree with a prior comment that this was one of the worst kept trails we have hiked in Ohio. Not only are the paths very overgrown but also trail markings are very bad and confusing. We got lost, which is very easy to do here. Also, the Logan Trail does not make use of switchbacks so you are hiking straight up and down hill constantly, which made for a rather unpleasant experience all the way around. On the flip side, we did enjoy camping here very much.

I just hiked the north loop of this the other weekend (8/3/13) and it was one of the worst kept trails I have ever hiked.

This park was pretty nice with lots of challenging hills ad pretty overlooks. I didn't see a single other person on the trail despite it being a lovely day, which for me was also kind of nice and relaxing. It's easy to get lost here though - the trails are not all clearly marked. But overall a nice place.

We walked a portion of this trail (2 miles) last summer with our 3 children. There were some very narrow and steep sections of trail, which caused a little concern for us for our youngest. We probably wouldn't advise this to anyone with young children. Some areas were not well kept. However, it was nice and quiet. I don't think we saw any other hikers on the trail. Of course, it was a pretty warm day. At the time, there was a geocache on the part of the trail that we hiked.

This trail is great bc you rarely ever see anyone on the trail. I have been doing the north loop for years and it is challenging. It is around 12 mi. and will take about 5 hours to complete w a small break. There are many other trails from the park as well including the buckeye trail. This is a great spot west of the hocking area. I highly recommend this trail.