Lakes and Ferns Loop

Lakes and Ferns Loop is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Whitehouse, OH that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail head is at Mallard lake, a small creek-fed lagoon. It loops through some low lying areas and across the waubash-cannonball trail. Trail is a mix of packed dirt, some sandy areas and natural debris. During wet seasons there are spongy areas of black muck and mud.

My favorite trail

My husband and I hiked this trail in the late summer on a very nice breezy day. Oak Openings in general is a very nice metropark, and this trail is especially nice. The trail starts near a small lake, and rounds a bigger lake. The sandy trail can be a bit annoying if you're not wearing the right footwear, but the trail over all is easy. Great trail for families. Just bring bug spray, especially in the summer, since mosquitoes tend to be prevalent.

Completed this loop and others as part of a 10 mile hike with our Boy Scout Troop. There is some confusion as to the actual length of this loop, with one map saying 2.7 miles and another saying 2.9. I did not measure this as my battery went out for the GPS, yet I would say that it is shorter than 2.9 miles. Very nice trail, and not too demanding at all. There was a bit of difficulty with the trail being well marked due to the fall leaf covering. Trail is impecibly clean. Picked up two pieces of trash over the entire length.