Lake Vesuvius Lakeshore Trail

Lake Vesuvius Lakeshore Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pedro, OH that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great loop.

I hiked the lakeshore trail and the back section of the backpack trail about a year ago. The lakeshore trail has some nice views of the lake as you go along. I went in the summer, but I think this would be a beautiful hike in the fall when the leaves are changing. The trail was a little confusing in the back where it intersects the horse trails. I think the bridge mentioned below was out when I was there as well.

I made a couple of videos of the trip. The first video can be found on my YouTube channel at the link below.

The trail was in great shape. Nice rock outcroppings

love this place!!! a few repairs need to be made for recent weather, but a great place to hike. love the Rock House!

Difficult to follow trail. Can be confusing. About 5 miles out encountered a destroyed bridge underwater with a difficult alternative path. Had children with and were forced to turn back just a little under half way. We may have gotten on path because we were about 6 miles out and no sign of half way. We were out past dark and overall miserable trip. Count on all day trip and take some form of gps to track the trail. Otherwise count on a confusing trail with flooded or broken bridges.

Loved the scenery and the peace and quiet at the Lake.

love it

The tail itself was kind of boring. You got to look out on the lake a couple times, but not very scenic. Trying to navigate the trail can be very confusing. Just make sure you stay close to the lake. Overall decent trail.

The lakeshore trail is my favorite in the southern Ohio area. Both times I've done it I've seen a blue heron fly across the lake. I have never seen another person in the trail. Be ready to get your feet wet! There are signs of beavers absolutely everywhere. And it seems that a dam has caused part of the trail to become a shallow crossing. We made it across without getting too wet by walking on sticks.
A couple times the trail can be a little confusing. For instance, twice you come to a fork in the road and if you look down either trail there is a tree with a blue blaze. Always stick to the trail closest to the lake if you want to stick to strictly the lakeshore.
Also there was a part where the wooden signs were swapped. They were leaning against trees, out of their dug holes. We fixed it, but I'm not sure how it happened or why.
There's really something for everyone at lake Vesuvius though! It's not very difficult but beautiful scenery.

Hiked in about a mile or two, started to feel sick unfortunately. Doubled back and started looking for a camp site. Hiked up a ridge and ended up camping just back from a big rock outcropping. Was surrounded by water on 3 sides and was a good 60 feet above the water. Great views, was early March, unusual warm weather and didn't see too many other hikers.

Great trail well marked and easy to follow! However if you enter the trailhead at the boat docks about 2.5 miles in the bridge is down. So you either have to trek through the water or turn around. Hiking 5 miles with wet shoes didn't sound fun to me so I turned around and ended up doing 5 miles instead of 8. Still had a good time. If the bridge gets fixed it would be even better! The trail is narrow with drop offs in a lot of spots so caution with children or clumsy people (; lol

Nice loop around the lake, good elevation in spots and easy to follow. Awesome weather made it even more enjoyable.

A nice hike around Lake Vesuvius with scenic views, opportunities for fishing and water activities, and possibly rock climbing for the adventurous.

Great place to be alone. Easy to swim, day hike, backpack, and bolder. Rocks, water, and trees. Few people, especially near the back of the trail. Near horse trails
and a backpack trail, so there is always more to explore.

This review pertains to the backpack trail and not the lake shore trail. Hiked the backpack trail 2 weeks ago and had a pretty bad experience. Trail is extremely overgrown. This led to getting lost quite a bit as well as getting absolutely covered in chiggers. Still reeling from chigger bites now. There were spider webs every step of the way. The trail is not marked well. The only map I could find for the trail was from eTrails so I had to pay for it. We were unable to find the campsite that we wanted to stay at so we had to stay at the popular site at mile 10.5. All this created a pretty bad experience for me and my friends.
Other than that, it's a moderately difficult trail with more elevation than you might think. The scenery gets pretty old. You don't see the lake at all on the trail besides at the start and end. The elevation leads to no good lookout points which was disappointing. If you do choose to hike this trail, take chigger prevention measures and don't end up covered waist down in bites :)

Very nice hike. 8 miles, not 7.4. Still a bit muddy in places after 5 days of no rain. More sunshine and thus hotter overall on west side of trail. If starting early from boat ramp, go clockwise to stay cooler. Only saw one other hiking party entire day. Crossing at north end--bridge has been replaced by sandbar hopping and was fine but creek was running normal. Unsure how crossing would be with high water. No snakes seen. Few bugs in morning.

Lakeshore trail is amazing, just challenging enough to make it rewarding with great views and few people. The backpacking trail, however, was a nightmare. Did ten miles of it to the old watch tower and over a third was spent cutting through overgrown brush, jaggers, and finding the trail. Was so frustrated with this trail we hitched a ride off the road back to where we parked. A lot of markers are inconveniently placed and even on fallen trees. We got lost more than once. Unlike the lakeshore trail, which has a reward of great lake views, this trail was something I will not do again.