Grandma Gatewood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave

Grandma Gatewood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave is a 10 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Logan, OH that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Grandma Gate wood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave is a 10 mile out and back trail located near Logan, Ohio that features a cave. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

Nice scenery, not incredibly challenging. Good time of year to go, get there early to avoid crowds

This trail was awesome!! I loved looking out from the fire tower and climbing over the huge rocks. I don't know that I'd consider it a difficult trail though. Also make sure you go when it's not busy. I started pretty early in the morning and it was a quiet, peaceful hike. On my way back there was way more traffic, and by the time I got back to Old Man's Cave it was extremely crowded making it feel a little too touristy for me. But overall I highly recommend!! It's a beautiful midwestern hike!! I will definitely be back

Beautiful scenery, good mix of terrain. Intertwined with many other trails.

Had great weather and the trail was not too crowded! Will do this one again!

I spent 10/30/16 hiking in this area. There are waterfalls, caves, gorges, bridges and even an 80 foot fire tower that you can climb. The leaves were changing, making the area especially beautiful. This is one of the best spots in Ohio.

A video of the trip highlights can be found on my YouTube channel at the link below.

This section of the Buckeye Trail is awesome. There are lots of natural features, caves, cliffs, deer, fish and frogs. Trail is well marked with blue blazes and in- ground blue post markers along with signs at trail intersections providing distances to attractions. Did have to leave the trail at sections to get around downed trees and there is hand over hand climbing in sections to get up tree roots and rock slides. Completed Grandma Gatewood from Upper Falls to Ash Cave and the doubled back to the red rim trail to make a loop. Started at dawn and only encountered 4 people and a huge buck before making it to Cedar Falls. Great trip that I will be doing again. At each of the stops, Old Mans Cave, Cedar Falls and Ash Cave there are picnic tables, water wells and restrooms. Also at Cedar Falls you have to cross the parking lot to pick up the trail again and continue up a fire road, it is not obviously marked where you are dropped off at the parking lot, just continue left past the picnic shelter and well pump and you will see a blocked road with a road gate and small sign stating Ash Cave.

beautiful scenery, great climbing (even though it's a no-no, but the old root branches basically are a helping hand)
with casual walking and a couple sites to sit and stare at the plant diversity, it took about 8, 8 1/2 hours of exploring.
wear good shoes, there's wet rocks everywhere and always a potential to slip.
happy hiking!

great views!

Excellent and relaxing hike.

The Buckeye Trail is wonderful! :)

awesome

It is more crowded than I would personally like, but it is very well kept and a beautiful park!

The views were amazing, breathtaking and otherwise too good for words. We had a blast climbing and I always take the more challenging route. That being said, there are a few areas where it is a bit more difficult and dangerous and I rolled an ankle! Thankfully I wear great boots. Thanks to James Sunyak for suggesting the start at Cedar Falls. It was much less crowded and also more challenging at the beginning when we were full energy and a more relaxed walk as we got tired. It is holiday weekend so the place was packed, but we came for fun, adventure and beautiful scenery, not seclusion.

Wish we had more time to explore this beautiful park!

Awesome!