Day Hike Trail

Day Hike Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near West Portsmouth, OH that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The map from the government does not correspond well with the actual signs on the earth! No where on their backpacking map does it mention an East Loop. But there are signs about the East Loop along the "Day Hike" trail. Their map also does not show this loop. It appears the signs on the trails are referring this loop as the "West Loop".

Wonderful hike!! As the poster before me stated, it is 4.2 miles now. Was a good workout, good elevation change 1.5 miles in. Well marked and in nice shape. Not much to see, but if you love being in the woods like me, I'd be on it everyday.

They've changed this trail. It's now a 4.2 mile hike. It has a wonderful midway point with a great view.

I'm from this area so I should like this trail more than I do, it's a nice hike kind of challenging if you were a beginner or only do short hikes. The real drawback to this trail is there isn't a whole lot to see with the exception of an overlook that's rather nice. It's totally worth it don't get me wrong, it can be a bit challenging at time because it has a lot of up and down hills. Pro tip-travel light

Great hike! Took my an 12 and 14 year old and they did fine. They were dead tired at the end but made it. Give it a shot if you want to challenge yourself.

Definitely more than moderate but not extreme. Creek crossing and large down trees make for some messy points but great trail. Steep ridges on end of clockwise made it more work. Have to hit it again in May and try counter clockwise per other review.

Great trail, although it was more challenging than I expected. Will do it again someday and try to beat my time of 3:35 to complete the 7 miles of steep hills.

My wife and I have hiked this trail several times and have enjoyed the hike tremendously. We have found that traversing the loop in a counterclockwise direction is an easier hike than the clockwise direction. The trail is marked with mile-markers for a clockwise direction of travel; however in this direction there are a couple of fairly long, steep hills at about the 5.5 and 6.5 mile points that tend to make that direction of travel a bit more challenging. Because it is a loop the total vertical rise/fall is the same in either direction, but because the steep uphills come later in the hike when traveling in the clockwise direction they make it more of a challenge.

In the May timeframe there is a section of the trail along the ridgeline (northernmost point of the loop) that is filled with mountain laurel blossoms that are spectacular! I don't think we have ever encountered another hiker on this trail on any of our hikes. Because it does not seem to get much traffic (at least from our experience), it does tend to get overgrown a bit in the summer and there is quite a bit of poison ivy in places. In general we try to hike this trail in the fall through early summer timeframe to avoid the poison ivy. There are a couple of spots where the hiking trail overlaps with a bridle trail and you need to make sure you don't follow the wrong branch. That said, the trail is in great shape and well marked.

All-in-all this is a great wooded hike with many spring wildflowers and great fall colors. While there are not too many spectacular views (better when the leaves are off the trees) it is still well worth the trip and a very enjoyable, secluded place to hike!