Caesar Creek State Park Perimeter Loop Trail

Caesar Creek State Park Perimeter Loop Trail is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Waynesville, OH that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

bridge out

old growth

I was so happy to get back to hiking after several days of biking. But they say be careful what you wish for because it may come true. This was a very long day. But beautiful views along the way.

The lake is gorgeous. The hike is a very long day but very worth every step of it.

I hiked the perimeter trail about a year ago. My plan was to spend the night along the way, but I ended up hiking the whole trail in one day. It was raining, so I decided just to head home. There are some nice views of the lake, a waterfall and a swinging bridge along the way. There was some road walking at both ends of the lake, which I'm not a fan of. It was a nice hike overall, though.

A video of my trip can by found on my YouTube channel at the link below.

Loved it! This is the Fork Trail and goes on forever but is by far not boring. Starts at a playground, into the woods, out to the open by the water, back into the woods to a small waterfall, and to a swinging bridge. Will go again!

I thought this was a great trail for those complaining it was to narrow or there was to many spider webs stop being a wine bag. It's called hiking and it's the woods. It took me 4 hours and 1 min to complete this trail I just didn't like that some of the off trials were closed, but I'll definitely be coming back.

We started at the boot ramp off of the SR 73 just after 9. We then went East (clockwise) around the lake. It took us around 5 hours and 30 minutes with breaks/lunch to complete. (We stopped for lunch at the visitors center which was a great break a little over half way.) Overall, the trail was okay. It was muddy and overgrown in several areas but the trees provided shade which was great. The most disappointing part was the lack of trail markings in some areas, especially on roads. Often, we guessed which way to go, hoping it was right. There were some beautiful parts like the falls and rivers but the poor markings killed our enthusiasm. Again, it was overall okay. My advice would be to avoid going when it has rained, find a stick to use to clear spider webs from the path, and note that the west side of the lake is more hilly so plan your route accordingly. Happy trails!

NOT GOOD FOR MOUNTAIN BIKING SERIOUSLY ALMOST DIED LIKE A THOUSAND TIMES!!

Carrying a bike up stairs LIKE FIVE TIMES sucked so badly..

Why'd this trail come up good for mountain biking? Straight lies.

The trail was so pretty though and by foot I would have enjoyed myself.

This is a great trail. Pretty well marked. It can get a bit overgrown in spots during the summer.

The new hanging bridge was cool! Definetly bring lots of water and snacks if you plan on hiking the entire loop.

hiked the loop a couple different times.not a difficult hike but a fun hike.beware of ticks in the summer. The only bad thing was having to go on the highway on the north side of the loop. other than the boats being noisy it is a nice hike.

After hiking the Smokey's, I was worried that hiking in Ohio would be a let down. Even though it's not the Smokey, it was a great hike that I am planning to do several more times.

I've frequently enjoyed Caesar Creek and exploring all the trails connected along the edge of the "lake" (flooded river) at one time or another! I highly recommend taking the trails south of route 73 on either side of the lake that end at either the nature center to the west or the spillway to the east (and pass through Pioneer Village). Looped them together using the dam bridge and (unfortunately) 73 itself a few times for about a 4-4.5 hour hike. Gorge loop south of that is short by comparison but a pretty area!
Not sure why the map of the perimeter loop trail on the northwest side of the lake looks so short on this page, but haven't fully explored that area yet as it seems overgrown and covered in horse poop...

We broke this loop up over a weekend, (we were hiking with a 3 year old) She did about 5 miles over the course of the hike. The rest my husband carried her. It wad a nice hike, I highly recommend paying the two dollars at the army corps office for the better trail map. Otherwise we were a bit lost at first. Once we got on the trails they were well marked and nothing terribly difficult. A lot of pretty views of the lake. There are two falls, one was very small and we would have walked right over it if we were not looking the other is really of by flat fork.

I took this trail to try out some new gear and planned on spending the night. Ended up completing the entire thing in around 5 hours without an issue., total mileage is closer to 13mi including the road walks. Very scenic walking along the lake majority of the time. Also in mid spring the flower blooms are fantastic!

Ran a half marathon on this trail. It was brutal and wonderful. If I lived closer, I'd be here pretty frequently.

I parked at the caesar creek state park horseman's group camp and took the horse trail that's called moonlight vista/bridal trail. At some point in the trail i picked up a blue blaze and followed it to the (i think it's called) solidad trail. Which is a trail that skirts the lake and the damn for the lake. I doubled back on that and re-gained the vista trail. At that point there were red blazes. i followed the red blaze into the horse trailer parking/camping area and followed the road back to my truck, parked outside of the horseman's group camp.

I found the Perimeter Trail Loop to be pretty good if you are looking for a longer hike with some semi-moderate/rough areas there are a few short steep climbs up. I did have a great time and we finished the loop in about 7.5 hours. That is with a few decent breaks to take in some of the views. I will upload pics soon.