Buzzardroost Rock Trail

Buzzardroost Rock Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near West Union, Ohio that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

The most popular of all trails in the Edge of Appalachia Preserve system is the one that leads to Buzzardroost Rock, which stands like a giant limestone monument far above the waters of Ohio Brush Creek. The panoramic scene from this hilltop has been called Ohios most spectacular view. Buzzardroost Rock trail is not a loop, and the round trip hike of three miles is considered moderately difficult, with steep grades and steps. Preserve naturalists suggest that hikers plan to spend a minimum of two to three hours for the round trip, allowing time to observe the natural features along the way and enjoy the scenic view from the top of the rock.

beautiful trail with wonderful views

Very nice maintain Trail great view at the end

Good trail

Beautiful day for a hike with a nice breeze to help with the climb.

Great trail! My dog and I loved the walk today and look forward to going back soon. The view is worth the hike

Absolutely gorgeous! I love this trail! The view at the top makes it so worth it!

Great trail with a great view at the top! Parking available but no restroom/water fill up.

the best trail I have been on in this area. we went the day after a rain and there was a few slick spots but was easily passable. be ready for a good workout. great view at the end. when you get to the split the 1.2 mile leg has better scenery.

Great trail!

We went twice, once at the end of July and once at the beginning of August. The first time it we picked a very hot and humid day which made it horrible. The second time we went it was not nearly as humid and a cooler temperature. I also suggest not going after rain as the trails can become very slippery. The new trail head is hard to see.. if coming from the town of West Union heading towards Lynx you won't see the sign, only a white mailbox on the right. If you see Mahogany Road (on the right), turn around because you JUST passed it. It's a gravel driveway. It's a very scenic trail, and very lovely as long as you don't go on a humid day. It's high up but there are only a few steep hills to climb so it's not too hard for children. I took my 5 year old son and my 10 year old nephew (take plenty of water and some snacks if taking children). Once you reach the top it's breathtakingly beautiful! The first time my son climbed it he was so excited over the view and the fact that he had finally reached the top. The view at the end makes it definitely worth it for those who don't enjoy hiking and being in the wilderness as much as I do. This is definitely one of my favorites.