Big Darby Headwaters Nature Preserve - Jainshig Trail

Big Darby Headwaters Nature Preserve - Jainshig Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near East Liberty, OH that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from January until January.

2.3 miles Out & Back

The Gary J. Jainshig trail at Big Darby Headwaters Nature Preserve traverses a mixture of riparian forests, wetlands and old farm fields where humble coldwater springs and streams emerge to form the Big Darby Creek, designated as one of The Nature Conservancy's Last Great Places. The first mile, rated easy, is wheelchair-accessible and takes you to an observation deck overlooking a wetland. A 2-mile primitive extension, rated moderate, takes you to a second observation deck overlooking a site where restoration work for the headwaters was completed. Interpretive signage showcases the importance of the headwaters to people and wildlife.

LOVED this trail. I have been looking for my new "go-to" trail and found it in this spot. I absolutely loved the atmosphere. So quiet and peaceful. Going through the trees was my favorite part! It was the perfect fall day so the leaves fell like rain. Gorgeous. Will most definitely be returning soon!

A plesent trail very well mantained not cluttered with garbage. Good scope of terrain, grasslands, forest, and wetland. A breeze to walk. Highly recommended.

the walk/hike is easy. very scenic. lots of people

Loved this trail. Had a little bit of everything. Wetlands, fields, wildflowers, wildlife, forest. Nice and peaceful with great overlooks.

I hiked all of the trails. Some good changes between wooded and grassland and wetland. Lots of wild life to enjoy and. A birders paradise.

OK cool foliage, good for dog's, check good though when you get home lots of ticks.

was nice walk. just watchout for ticks. lol

Currently I am sitting on a bench at the Big Darby Headwaters Overlook, while I expected more once I arrived at the overlook the hike through wooded trails and open meadows was exhilarating. I had expected more water and flowing streams when I got to the overlook, however, it is a nice place to sit and enjoy all of the sounds of nature. I even hear a bullfrog every now and then. I can see the highway from where I sit and can hear the cars whizzing by, that noise is distant compared to the beautiful sounds of God's creation singing their grateful chorus.

Darby headwaters is a great place to get away. I visit this trail about once a month. For a very long time it was a very nice trail, nacely kept about a mile long with a boardwalk that opens up onto a deack with info signs about the wildlife, folange and other plants. A very interesting ecosystem. Daby headwaters also has many geocashes along the trail. This new trail is just off the main trail and incororates more of the great beauty of the area. It is just a miniute off of 33, by Honda and the cute village of Middleburg.