Alum Creek State Park Mountain Bike Trail - Phase 1

Alum Creek State Park Mountain Bike Trail - Phase 1 is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Galena, OH that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking and is accessible from May until October.

Located just 30 minutes north of Columbus, Ohio, Alum Creek Phase 1 Trail is great cross-country singletrack.

NOT SAFE TO HIKE! I went to hike this trail in the middle of October this year. It was a Sunday afternoon and there were SOOO many bikers - the trail was filled with people riding WAY too fast!! Maybe this is ok for biking, but my husband and i turned around less than a minute into this trail! I read the reviews and some say it's good for hiking but you wouldnt be able to carry on a conversation because you have to listen for bikers so as to not get ran over!

Trail was challenging but very nice on this fall day! Marked well for the most part. Got confusing at times when red emergency signs came up. Follow orange signs & you are good... Recommended to intermediate to advanced trail runners, not for beginners.

Nice trail.

Great trails, only saw 1 biker the whole time. Nice views of water and good ups and downs. Sound of traffic is always in the background though.

canoeing

Excellent trails

Look up Alum Creek Mountain bike trail Phase 1, or Phase 2, or Beginner loop. The trail linked here has invalid information.

This trail hike was amazing. We literally didn't run into any one. More of a terrain and definitely beautiful. Not a place to go with strollers or wheel chairs. More of a mountain biking trail but worth the fun to hike.

While this is a Mountain Bike trail, it is also a great hiking trail. It has been well prepared for bikes for the ground is hard in most places and bridges for every gully. It has built to follow the water line of Alum Creek Lake and does so by often backtracking itself. The Nature is beautiful and on the whole six mile trip, I only had to move off trail to let 4 bikes pass. All in all a great hiking trail. Go counter clockwise to have the bikes coming at you or Clockwise to have them coming from behind. Hiking Time BTW is about 1.75 hours.

I have only ridden Phase 1 a few times. I don't think its a good trail, mainly because some of the roots can stop you and your bike dead. I had to abandon one run because of a fall and large cut on my knee. Phase 2 seems easier to me. It is called a technical run, but I think of it as more of a fun free-style. Prob one of the better runs in Ohio I've been on.

Awesome trail, has everything you could want. Hills, wood bridges, lots of them, roots, log jumps. First time on this trail, I'll be here for 3 days, gonna ride it everyday I'm here.

It's a challenging and fun trail. Lots of roots that make for a bit of a technical ride. I have enjoyed my self every time I have rode it.

I didn't quite hike this trail; I actually left the trail because it was very boring in my opinion. I spent my hike walking along the shores of the lake. I really liked doing so; the lake was pretty and fairly clean and the shoreline wasn't dirty either.

Same as what Ron said, there are 2 trails. Phase 1 and Phase 2. I hit phase 2 the most " about 2 times a week" phase 1 is kinda boring after riding phase 2 hard. Phase 1 is still nice to hit when my girlfriend wants to come and ride with us. Challenging for her , but nothing to really get her into trouble... Like some of the bridges in phase 2

Have been riding this trail for many years....the trail started out as a complicated maze with no defined routes and multi directional trails and elevation changes hard to conquer...has evolved over the years into a 1 way single track trail with moderate elevation changes and several man made obstacles in addition to the rocks, roots, turns, hills, valleys, trees, holes, streams and everything else a ride in the woods has to offer. You can also maintain a fast pace without wearing yourself out. I am pretty sure Central Ohio Mt. Bike Organization had a lot to do with all the improvements over the years. Riding is limited to the dry months of the year to protect the trail.....great time.....can't wait until the trail drys out....you probably won't have time to watch the wildlife, but it will be watching you.....

There are actually 2 trails.
Phase 1 is a 6 mile intermediate trail. Ride across a water filled creek, hammer over one of the bumpiest root covered courses in Ohio. This 6 mile trail will provide you a fun ride while staying technical enough to keep your bike's suspension in motion the whole time.
Phase 2 is a 6 mile advanced trail. Twenty-eight bridges, many are narrow and have challenging approaches so good balance is needed to stay upright. Log-overs are a highlight feature for this technical course. Many interesting stunts to try