Oak Openings Hiking Trail

Oak Openings Hiking Trail is a 16.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Whitehouse, OH that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Best little oasis of peace in this area. I could spend days wandering this little park.

sand dune trail is fun!

The map shown here is wrong. (Although it might be accurate for the paved bicycle trail.) The Oak Openings Trail is closer to a 17 mile long loop. It is bordered on the west and south sides by State Route 64, the north by Airport Highway (State Route 2), and the East by State Route 295. Wooden bridges are plentiful in marshy areas and fallen trees are usually cleared away quickly.

I'm not sure which trail is allegedly 6.2 miles, but this park has a nice collection of trails, mostly accessible from the same parking lot area. Most trails are 1 to 3 miles so you can take one or plan a whole day. I walked the red, orange, and blue marked trails. I'd highly recommend that red and orange trails, both of which allow you to view the only moving sand dunes in Ohio (the sand dunes on the red trail are closed in May and June for birdie babies but you can still view them). I went in daytime during the week and it was not crowded on the trails at all (just a few other people). Oak Openings is a bit far from me, but I'm hoping to go back and see this park in the fall. Gorgeous!

Done all the small loops working up to do the big trail but I love hiking here

I love the trails at this park. The trails are maintained and very dog friendly. It can be a little busy on the weekends but during the week it is nice. There are plenty of trails to choose from and lots of wildlife to be seen.

Nice length and well-maintained without being too manicured. Not very interesting terrain but moderate scenic variety. Perfect distance between water fountains and rest areas.

Long trail that I haven't done in it's entirety, but will be doing soon. Nice mix of tree species and scenery, and no one else. Once you get north by Airport Hwy, the trail gets confusing, and I lost it. There are yellow blazes, but some can be misleading.

I hike this trail last week. The trail was well maintained and offered some beautiful scenery early in my hiking season. Just over 15 miles it took me about 5.5 hours including a lunch break. I will absolutely hike this trail again and again.

I enjoy the different environments while you hike.

I walked the whole 15.11 mile loop. I dedicated several hours to it. It was a lot of fun, but there were a few spots where the markings were difficult to follow. I took a 2L water bladder with me to make sure I stayed hydrated through the hike. There were not many spots to fill up from a water fountain or sink.

There is one large (yellow dash - marked) trail that is 15.11 miles (according to park maps) that surrounds the whole park. To get to it, you have to park or start at a specific point because there are no smaller trails that lead into the big yellow trail.

I hiked parts of all of the smaller trails in the center of the metro park that interconnect with one another. Each one is about 0.6 to 3.2 miles. I hiked about 4 miles, with a buddy of mine, just making choices in the moment of which fork to take. We forgot to get a map to figure out what the different colors and trails are in the center of the park haha.

This trail is phenomenal! Hit it early in the spring or late summer/early fall to escape the insect swarms on the north section swamps. Also never attempt without talk waterproof boots after it has rained recently. I love taking time off work and going out here, get myself away from everything and lose myself out in the woods. The oak savannahs make me want to just stay forever. Check out the tornado damaged areas on the south sections!

This trail is NOT for motorized vehicles. That being said, the trail is FABULOUS for hiking. There are several biomes that you pass through on this loop. This is the outer loop called the Oak Openings trail or Scout trail. Very clean, well marked trail. It is not too demanding at all, but there are some areas that are a bit tougher than others. This trail intersects with several other trails including the horse trail which is almost pure sand. There are multiple geocaches along the trail as well. It is also a 16.2 mile trail as marked on the map and on the website, not 17 as listed.

off road driving

Question hoping someone could answer: Does this trail accommodate motorized (off-road) type vehicles - like a gas-powered little quad? My son got a little mini-bike last Christmas & has been begging me to take him to a trail of some kind where he can ride...(as there are limited places he can ride it in our subdivision). I put in the filter "off road" driving trails, & this is the only one that popped up. If anyone could answer this or let me know if there are trails they know of designed for little off-road adventures, please let me know. I just don't want to take him someplace where he'll disturb anyones peace while hiking.
(ALSO-I'D RATE THIS TRAIL WITH MORE THAN 1 STAR BUT I'VE NEVER BEEN ON IT & I CAN'T PUT OUT A QUESTION W/OUT RATING IT...)

Thanks !

This is a great trail! It is bisected by the wabash-cannonball trail. There is parking at the east side of the park across the street from the trail head. My wife and I strapped on our hiking packs and did half the trail plus the section of wabash to get us back to the trail head, then the other half about a week later. Saying half is somewhat misleading as it puts you about at 11 miles. Considering the wabash is paved, I would recommend just doing the whole trail and not doing as we did. Walking on pavement is just too hard on the feet. The north half will take you up to airport highway and is more scenic, the south will take you by a lake. Not many people use this trail. I think we only came across a hand full of other hikers on the south half and one each time we hiked the north end.

I would not say this hike is difficult, just long. Pack a lunch and plenty of water.

off road driving

how are the off road trails? anyone know?