Wintergreen Falls Trail

Wintergreen Falls Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hendersonville, NC that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

A nice downhill hike to a 25 foot waterfall. From the Guion Access Area proceed south on the Tarklin Bridge Trail. There is a trail map posted at the parking area. The trail is predominantly downhill and marked with red blazes. The trail is wide and can accommodate horses, mountain bikers and hikers. Numerous boulders that have broken from the surrounding mountain sides are scattered on both sides of the trail giving the area a very primitive look. At the Grassy Creek Trail, go left until it intersects with the Wintergreen Falls Trail. From here it is a short 1/4 mile hike to the base of the 25 foot waterfall. Wintergreen Falls has a few flat rocks to sit on for a lunch or a nap. Backtrack out the way you came in for a total hike of about 3 miles.

Nice easy walk to a beautiful waterfall.

First of all, the waterfall is just ok. The hike is through a pretty part of the forest but not along any srream...down hill going in and up hill coming out. When you get to the waterfall, you have to boulder jump or climb up a 4' rock at a short, tight, rocky trail to get a good view of the falls!. So, not for the less mobile! When you are in front of the waterfall, it's a small area and is crowded with even a few people. Don't even try the path to the right just before the caution sign. It is the trail to nowhere...and goes on forever! There are just better waterfalls and hikes in the Dupont Forest/Pisgah area. But if you need to check this off your waterfall list, have a nice hike!

Very easy to traverse. Pretty nice, but relatively small waterfall at the end. Rocks near falls can be slick!

The GPS takes you to the gravel parking lot. The trail is not really marked well but the trail is located right beside the parking lot. When I went there was a butterfly project with signs at the trail head. Down hill going in and uphill going out. The trail is marked at all important turning points. The trail is mostly used for horse riding and mountain biking. Not as crowded as the main area of Dupont. I found it hard to get to the actual waterfall at the end as it takes some rock climbing. Overall great hike!

My family and I enjoyed this trail and we will definitely visit again. It's definitely downhill in and uphill out, but nothing we couldn't handle. The wading pools at the falls are worth the whole trip.

Nice, easy hike that's downhill out and uphill back. At the couple of trail/road intersections there are signs to keep you on the right path. One thing: there was lots of horse manure on the trail so if you bring kids or dogs, be prepared. The trail ends at the creek. Turn left and climb up a short, but steep, rocky path to get up to where the falls are. If you have lower body joint issues, hiking poles would be helpful. Scramble over some boulders, or push your way through some rhododendrons and you're there. Beautiful spot. I did this on a Sunday at 8 AM and the spider webs I kept walking through let me know I was the first one on the trail for the day. I spent almost an hour there before anyone else showed up. I highly recommend going early.

I needed an easy hike to get my body out of winter mode, and this hike seemed to fill the bill. The hike is nothing spectacular; the path is mostly a service road, used by bikers and horse riders. There are very few markings, leading first-time hikers (like myself and one other hiker I encountered) to question whether vital turns had been missed. But at the strategic points, there are large signs that would be really hard to miss. The waterfall is pretty, located in a secluded spot. For the purposes I had on this day, it was just what I needed.

Pretty and easy hike in early March. Great for beginners! The trail starts behind the welcome sign, past an open field, to the left of the parking area.

I went with two friends, their teenaged son and my dog. My friends are non-hiking flat-landers, and they had no problems completing the out and back. The waterfall at the end is small, but really pretty. The pools are very soothing for your feet. We sat on the rocks and ate a little picnic lunch. There were not many other hikers out, we saw maybe a dozen other people, but it was a weekday. Good short hike about 45 minutes from downtown AVL.

Very nice hike in February a few days after a large snowfall. Few hikers and wonderfull scenes with snow. Easy hike not too long and enjoyable falls at the end - can't beat that!

Great trail for the family very easy lots of other hikers and horses. The waterfall is worth it!

Beautiful hike through the forest on the way to the waterfall. Lots of large boulders along the trail's scenery. The waterfall was lovely!

Nice easy sloping trail to a beautiful waterfall, couldn't ask for a better day.