Weymouth Woods Sandhills Nature Preserve

DIFFICULTY 10 reviews

Weymouth Woods Sandhills Nature Preserve is located near Southern Pines, NC. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Nice hike with my wife this afternoon. We did enough of the loops to get in 4 miles and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Sandhills are home for me and I always enjoy hiking in the long leaf and loblolly pine groves. We did not see any wildlife. The hardwoods were beginning to change color and were very pretty as were many of the small under-growth plants.

As we are now "senior citizens" we found the walk to be more "moderate" than "easy" but certainly easy enough for us.

Because of the recent rains from hurricane Matthew, some of the trails had a few ruts created by the runoff but all were passable and well maintained. The young lady at the welcome center was very helpful and provided us plenty of good information about the park.

It was a fun easy to moderate hike. The trail has some hills and is super sandy, of course. It was really pretty though even though the recent rains had turned some of the smooth path into ruts which increased the difficulty. It was great for a nice short hike with my dog though. I did the 1.5 or so mile loop twice. There are pretty gardens in the property too and a nice gallery.

Nice walk. Not challenging, but great NC scenery. I managed around 4 miles or so and got a nice workout. A few runners on the trail; all ages - seniors to infants carried by parents.

Great family walking area. You can choose an easy 30 minute loop or go in the back horse trail for a real 4 miler. Lots to see and the parker rangers are very friendly.

Love this trail to run on. Varying elevations, nice soft trails, and bridges over water. Very nicely kept up local park with good parking and nice visitors center. If you want to extend distance, easy access to the All American Trail that goes around Fort Bragg.

I like this trail to run on probably because I can start at my house. My kids and lab also love to get out there. The other day we did a four mile loop with all of our backpacks and gear on to test our equipment fit before we climb Mt. Rogers and backpack around Grayson Highlands this weekend. The streams running thru are nice and the dogs love them. I know people specifically go here for the birds but the deer and fox are pretty cool.

Walk all the way to the back loop, only 4 miles. Very few people venture that far. Watch for snakes. Enjoy deer, foxes and birds.

Best for walking in the woods with your dog or children. Also a fairly easy trail to run.

nice trails to spend and afternoon on easy woods trails.