Tower Trail at Crowders Mountain

Tower Trail at Crowders Mountain is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gastonia, NC that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Tower Trail ascends the Crowder Mtn. range up a utility road to a cellphone tower. At the top, it connects to Backside Trail, an alternate .9 mile route down to the parking lot. Total RT is 2.7 mi. Tower Trail is a longer, but less steep climb than Backside Tr. Fantastic view of Charlotte skyline! This is only one variation of numerous hikes that can be found at Crowders Mountain State Park. We started out on the Tower Trail which is the maintenance road for the towers at the summit. It's a wide, gravel trail and winds it's way for 2 miles to the Overlook. The rock formations at the summit are awesome and on nice days you'll probably encounter some climbers and rappellers since this is permissible on Crowders. We spent almost an hour at the summit, having our lunch and chatting with other hikers we encountered and met some very nice folks. We trekked back via the Backside Trail which is about .9 miles in length and is very steep. Most folks use the reverse order for the trails that we did and we will the next trip, hopefully soon !! Be sure and fill your water bottles at the Ranger Station !!!

Really good for hiking maybe need more sings to know where are you located.

It was a good hike. More difficult than I originally thought but it was definitely a good workout. The views are alright, obstructed by trees but that's just part of nature. Overall great hike for this part of the state :)

I've been going here since I was 16 and it has changed so much. Definitely a nice day and a great workout! Not a bad place for a day hike. I was able to connect several loops and clock 11 miles!

I would call it more Moderate than Hard. Not a long hike to the summit. You hike a gravel road instead of a trail and the overlook isn't spectacular. The view is mostly blocked by trees and you can't really sit at the main overlook to relax a bit. However there is a small secluded overlook right near the main one that not many people notice. Again most of the view is blocked by trees, but you can actually sit down and take in the beauty. Overall it's an OK hike.

First hike in a long time. I had a relatively easy time getting up the trail, and it didn't take long. The way up is surrounded by woods but you come out at the summit with amazing views of the surrounding area and the Appalachians to the west. Will be returning!

Great views!!

Meh. Rated at strenuous but i didn't think it was. Definitely start on the backside trail. The tower trail was really a gravel roadway- not all that interesting. Overall a good quick 1hour long hike.

Nice views of Charlotte skyline at the top

The trail can be confusing your first time at the tower. To go to Backside trail continue close and on right side of the tower. Some markers would be helpful.

I completed the loop ascending the Tower Trail and descending the Backside Trail. The Tower Trail was not so much a trail as a gravel road to the summit. While not particularly challenging the views were wonderful and access to the trailhead is a quick trip from Charlotte.
I would recommend ascending the Backside Trail and descending Tower Trail. The main reason for this is that the stairs near the summit on the Backside Trail are exceedingly narrow making descent awkward.

Tower trail is a little less than 2 miles but not very challenging. Gravel road the whole way up but some areas are pretty steep. Great views at the top. Take the backside trail down for a quicker way back. Good amount of steps on the backside trail that I have not tried, but are really steep in some sections which could make for a much tougher climb.

Nice trail. Took the tower trail up the side of the mountain with our dog- Britta.

Although a pleasant walk, it's a gravel road which was not very friendly to our dog's paws. She didn't like it very much. Because it was cloudy she didn't like the view from the top either.

The trip down was nice. And they have restrooms at the trailhead.

My 7yo daughter & I went up this way - everyone else was coming down. I think it was a better decision since the turns make the climb less steep. We went down Backside Trail. I didn't think it was more than a 2mi hike. We finished in about 2.5 hrs with all our sightseeing & pics at the summit - her first!! :-)

The wife does not like strenuous hikes straight up, so it is recommended that you take Tower Trail to the top then take Backside trail down. Taking Tower up offers curves in the trail that are least monotonous then the unrelenting stairs. I would also recommend going early in the week as the weekend tends to be a bit busier. The trail is well marked. (Note the trail continues alongside of the cell tower. Also be prepared your remove tons of sticky burrs from Fido.) Get Out and Hike!

Not a bad trail, the view is pretty nice.