Tanawha Trail

Tanawha Trail is a 21.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Collettsville, NC that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fishing, and fly fishing and is accessible from September until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

This Trail is a slammalammajamma and one I often enjoy hiking in the nude

This is a very long trail with multiple starting points. I choose to do a 2 mile loop that starts from a trail head on Holloway Mountain road which is accessed from Church road in Foscoe. From the Holloway Trail Head parking lot cross the road and turn left, walk about 25 yards and look for a gated forestry road on your right. The out trail after a mile connects with the Boone Fork Trail. Make a left and hike about 400 yards on Boone Fork and make another left into the forest to connect up to the return trail. Nice trail for walking the dog and when wild flowers are in bloom. I have also hiked this trail from the Holloway Trail Head towards the Parkway. From the parking lot hike straight up the hill /cow pasture in front of you and bear right. Watch out for cow pies. This section of trail goes all the way to the Parkway about 13 miles. I usually only hike it about 4 miles rt as an out and back. Lots of nice scenery and open meadows.

Great hike! Takes you under the viaduct, up and over, in and out of the woods with just enough views to keep you anticipating. I will give away a secret here. There is a location just after you come up from the viaduct, maybe mile 1 or 2 that gives you one of the best views overlooking the viaduct. This is where A LOT of famous pictures of the viaduct are taken.

Stumbled upon a famous photographer just sitting on this rock/overlook and found out later that a picture he captured that day was going to be featured in a nationally published Calendar and Magazine. It was neat to see it with my own eyes and then in the calendar! And it should be noted, I traveled in the fall with the brightest leaves I had ever seen in the Appalachians.

Since the Linn Cove Visitor Center was closed off to cars driving in, we hiked from the Stack Rock parking area to Rough Ridge and back. I would consider the section from the Viaduct to Rough Ridge a rocky and moderate one - definitely NOT in the easy category. This made for a 6 mile out and back point to point. Would love to finish the rest of the trail sometime from Rough Ridge going north to Julian Price!

rock climbing

Started the trail at beacon heights, lots of great bouldering spots. Favorite trail to take my dog on!

Beautiful misty day- hiked from the viaduct to Holloway Mointain Rd.

geocaching

My fiancé and I started the trail at beacon heights this morning and finished in around seven hours. First off the trail is over the measured to be 13 miles one way... second the rating of easy was true for myself whom is an experienced hiker but for someone who is not very experienced the portion of the trail from rough ridge to beacon heights is the hardest with a good portion of it being what I would consider "stairs". This portion is also the most scenic with good views, large walls to check out and rough ridge which is one of the better places to see on the parkway. Overall the hike was good and I will do it again.

Need to go back & explore the greater area! Nice & cool today.

We did a nice section of this trail today. Beacon Heights to Rough Ridge! I was surprised at how rugged the trail was... For it to be rated easy, it was pretty tuff on my knees! There was a lot of diversity from the green grasses, Boulder fields, tunnels of rhododendron... Surprising little water falls nestled among the rocks. Definitely like this trail and maybe we can complete the other half soon! *** this was one of the cleanest trails we've hiked... Very little trash and litter! Nice to see people taking care of Mother Nature!

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this trail, honestly. It wasn't too hard, in terms of the hike itself, really, although it's somewhat long. It does also have some interesting things to see, especially when you go under the Viaduct, and near the start/end when you cross over a river with a small waterfall. Part of the trail is just a nearly endless stretch of rhodedendrons, though. For us, it was the last... I'd say quarter... of the trail, and it was a bit boring to me. Perhaps because I'd been hiking a while, instead of doing it at the beginning, but it just seemed to drag on.

Now, I know, nature should never be boring, but it was to myself, and to the guy I was hiking it with. Despite that, it was a very enjoyable hike. We also found, by pure happenstance, a geocache along the way, on a rock outcropping that climbed up and overlooked the parkway itself. It was a really cool surprise in the middle of our hike.

Hiked this trail today, it was great! It is really easy, I took my 12 year old lab with me and she did just fine. Very gradual incline, some nice little creeks, and leads to Storyteller's Rock and some good-looking campsites. Took only 2 hours, and that included a plenty of "sniff stops" and a small break. I would recommend this trail to anyone, and dogs and kids can handle it, no problem.

oh....and it took us 11 hours...but we did have about an hour and a half to 2 hours of breaks along the way.

an amazing journey from end to end! I completed this on Saturday with 2 friends. We started at the Price Lake entrance and finished at the top of Beacon Heights for a spectacular ending place to rest and wait on the sunset. This is technically "backwards"but we wanted the grand finale experience at the end. As with any long hike, the toughest part was around miles 9-11...which for us was from Rough ridge to Linn cove...but it was a truly spectacular hike. From peaceful wildflower filled pastures to rhodedendron tunnels to boulder fields and panoramic views, quiet waterfalls and most forests...this trail never fails to awe and inspire.

classic

This trail is also an awesome trail, part of the Mountain-to-Sea. Did the entire trail in 2007, but I do sections all the time. Highlights include Rough Ridge, Boone Fork, and Linn Cove. Great views, and other trails spur off it. The Holloway mtn. rd. access along the east side of the trail is getting a parking area and a trail re-route. Trail ends at the Price Park campground.

I only went from the visitors center to the opposite side of the viaduct. It was a nice little hike and once you get to the end of the viaduct there is a boulder you can climb to get a clear view of the viaduct and mountains beyond. One of the nicest views I have seen.

Just did the Ruff Ridge to Linn Cove section. Nice views across the ridge and under the viaduct, trail was not too strenuous. Made for a good several hour hike.

Great trail. Hiked the upper portion only to Ruff Ridge, awesome views. Some mud, lots of low hanging trees. Five stars!