Sugarloaf Trail

Sugarloaf Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Carolina Beach, NC that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Mostly flat coastal trail. Well maintained and marked.

I have lived in the area for 27 years and this is the 1st time I have walked some of the trails. It's the island so not much elevation change. I went to find somewhere to get me in nature and start preparing for treks on the App Trail. You will see me out there alot.

This trail has some pretty sights. It's a very easy loop. I did this for my morning coffee walk and it was very enjoyable.

Like everyone has said, not much more than a walk in the woods, but it is really great. Hiking along the shore is awesome and the pup loves it.

Very chill and relaxing but totally gorgeous. Surrounded by water and sand which made a great recipe for collecting thoughts and reflecting.

Like others have said....."only trail in New Hanover", so yes it's nothing more than a "stroll thru the woods" but it is beautiful! I'm a dog owner/lover, and I do agree...... Too many dogs on the trail! And by this, I am targeting "Un-Chained" dogs. Listen, I love my dog, and wish I could let my female Aussie loose too, but just because she doesn't bother me, doesn't mean she isn't bothering the family "around the bend" or the elderly couple concentrating on not tripping in the roots. People..... Please..... Use a leash! There is a time, and place to let them run, but on public trails isn't the prime place!
Other than that, trails are clean, well manicured, and well marked! I just want some ELEVATION!

Nice hike - but in reality it is more of a nature walk. Still, the best trail in all of New Hanover County. You encounter several different ecosystems, and get some nice views, especially at the top of Sugarloaf Dune. If you mix in the loop with the other trails you can turn this into a nice 5 mile hike. Definitely not strenuous, but a pleasant way to spend 1.5-2 hours.

There are not many trails in New Hanover County that inspire awe and this one isn't much different. It is above average for the area but not worth driving accross the state to hike. The upside: longleaf pine forrest, river view, the only slightly elevated "hill" in the Cape Fear region (sugarloaf), venus fly traps... the downside: lots of people with dogs, runners, not very long or isolated, not a lot of interesting things to see. The campground is actually not too bad. Nice bathrooms and showers and decent primitive campsites.

Do not use the driving directions! They take you to private property

Mostly flat beach trail. Some pine trees. Cool hike up a dune.