Spruce Mountain Loop Trail

Spruce Mountain Loop Trail is a 21.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Waynesville, NC that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Spruce Mountain Overnight Loop is a 21.7 mile loop trail located near Waynesville, North Carolina and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

We did the 1.3 mile climb to the spruce mountain campsite #42. It was reached by baslam mountain road which in itself is very remote. The hike is a continuous climb and I think as far as backpacking it is strenuous. This Trail is in my opinion extremely well diverse in the plant life and at the top elevation of 5440 ft very moist. There seemed to be no signs of any available water near as the bear branch had nothing to offer and is very near non existent. We tried to locate a lost and forgotten Trail that I saw on my topo that supposedly leads to a tower. We never made it due to the sunset and it was very difficult as its an abandoned trail. Trees down and in a year or so more no trace of a Trail at all. Very curious though. If you want a very secluded trail to be alone this is it. I loved it. It's so difficult to find solitude. Just carry water.

I did this one a number of years ago. Unfortunately it's no longer feasible, as the Park Service has closed the Polls Gap Trail which made up the second day of the loop. Great trip in spite of blowdowns and greenbriars on the soon to be abandoned trail. Spent the first night at Caldwell Fork and the second at Spruce Mountain. Idyllic campsite. Decended the Palmer Creek Trail on the last day. A shame the Polls Gap Trail was abandoned but it was gullied to seven or eight feet deep in spots.